[JPL] Mastery Redux - Jazz Rock World

JanLeder at aol.com JanLeder at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 16:45:24 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/16/2006 12:17:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rick at jazzrockworld.com writes:

With the  right mixture, this might even cultivate a crowd of
listeners that enjoy  the "spice" of not knowing what might happen next. I
would think that Jazz  fans especially would have a positive reaction to a
programmer's seemingly  "improvisational" technique.

Just a thought - I could be all  wet...

Rick Calic

My two cents:

Rick hit the nail on the head for me.  This is exactly why I enjoy  radio and
listen to it as much as I do (which is a lot!).  Every set I  write for
performance also aims for a balance between the familiar and the new,  and among
different styles and tempos as well as keys.  It's work, and  I appreciate when
a programmer "writes" a good set.

Radio of course is also the best way for me to stay on top of what other
artists are doing, but that's not as important to me as the "spice" Rick is
talking about.

So when I listen to radio, I want to learn about history as well as current
events, so to speak.  The best programmers know that.

Jan Leder
_www.janleder.info_ (http://www.janleder.info)