[JPL] New Jazz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 20:49:40 EDT 2006

Tis the busy season for new releases. In fact somewhat overloaded. Jeez. That said, here are a few I find very interesting.....

Neal Miner's "The Evening Sound"......Very nice sextet arranging and writing.....cohesive and swinging.

  The Brian Lynch/Eddie Palmieri Project...."Simpatico".....Brian adds a wonderful touch to Eddie's fire. Very nice indeed.

  Mark Masters Ensemble...."Wish Me Well"....I know someone brought this up earlier but add me to the list. The arranging lays down nothing predictable. Fresh, harmonically deep and beautifully recorded. I'll put this as one of the best of the year.

  The Taylor/Fidyk Big Band...."Live At Blues Alley"...Not in the league of Gordon Goodwin's Phat bunch but they can lay it down. Fidyk is an outstanding drummer and swings the band nicely. Great charts and what a unique sound in this recording. I've played Blues Alley and this recording makes the room sound much bigger than it is. Interesting.

  Jay Lawrence Trio...."Thermal Strut".....Check out the "Love For Sale" track. That did if for me.

  The Snapdaddys...."Snappy Hour"......you want quirky???....Strangely good.

  Mayra Casales....."Woman On Fire".....Rarely do you see female percussionists in the genre......drumset players yes but percussionists no. Mayra burns and the band sounds great. "Is It Love," "Rush Hour," "La Vida" and "Mujer Ardiente" stand out.

  Jae Sinnett