[SPAM] Re: [JPL] as it happened today!

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 21 20:23:19 EDT 2006

My .02   - thanks for the input, knowledge is good and I'm not knocking
it, but it's hard enough for me to try to keep up with all that goes on
in the jazz world of music without spending time studying rock & pop
music history, especially when it concerns violent deaths, accustations
of sexual molestation, benefits that didn't happen and beer bottle
throwing at punk festivals.    whew!  These people sure lead lots more
dramatic lives than jazz people, don't they?

Taking another tack, could we encourage rock, country, AAA and urban
stations to drop in an occasional jazz track to show that THEY're
musically broadminded and interested in what's going on around them and
how jazz has influenced their music?

I doubt it'll happen... even if Coltrane played the Beatles and the MJQ
did the Stones Greatest Hits.    Or, how about "Bob Dylan sings Jon
Hendricks"?    (it's never the other way around has it?)

BTW, has anybody heard Brad Mehldau's versions of Radiohead tunes on
other formats than jazz stations?   I loved and played Jack Walrath's
1986 versions* of "I'm Sending You A Big Bouquet of Roses" and "I'm So
Lonesome I Could Cry"  with Willie Nelson sitting in for a chorus, but
I don't think either got much play on country stations.

(*on "Master of Suspense" - Blue Note)

Jim