[JPL] CSULB Funds Will Keep KKJZ-FM On Air

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 21 20:54:18 EDT 2006

On Thursday, September 21, 2006, at 01:45  PM, Ed Trefzger wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Jazz Promo Services wrote:
>
>> KKJZ is one of the nation's two remaining stations dedicated to the
>> classic-jazz of John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis and others.
>> Nationwide, classic-jazz formats have been dwindling in favor of
>> smooth-jazz
>> programming, such as that broadcast by the Wave (KTWV-FM 94.7), or
>> other
>> formats entirely.
>

> Huh?

Yeah, that does look funny, doesn't it?  But considering the uncertain
future of WBEZ and giving the benefit of the doubt  to Don Heckman,
perhaps he intended to refer to the "top three" markets when he writes
"major market" in the following paragraph of the same story and that
makes more sense.

"The only other major-market classic jazz station with a professional
staff is WBGO-FM inNewark, N.J ."  ..........

However, non-professional staff can present good, interesting jazz
programming and the loss of a big budget jazz station doesn't mean the
format has disappeared from a market.   Also, I hear the smooth-jazz
format is having problems as well in some areas outside of Southern
California where it originated.

Jim