[JPL] Al Di Meola

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 11:25:10 EDT 2006

Has anyone heard the Al Di Meola "Consequence Of Chaos" release yet? I've been playing it over the past few days with favorable response. The "Tao" and "Azucar" tracks. He's in town tonight. The CD is interesting......for starters he's playing more acoustic guitar than I thought...this is interesting considering the hype of him not playing electric guitar for many years. I am curious as to why he stopped playing the instrument in the first place. Would anyone know? Perhaps for volume reasons. Or maybe it could be the concept direction he was persuing with the romanticism of Hearts Of the Immigrants.

  The electric playing is surprisingly subdued. That blistering velocity and fire we've heard from him from the 70's isn't here either but don't let that take away from the quality of the recording. From the musician perspective I can't imagine he would hold back this much live with the instrument. His sound as we remember it is there and on many tracks he cleverly uses both the acoustic and electric to create interesting textural themes. What I don't like about it are some "programmed" drum and other sounds. I always scratch my head when musicians do this - particularly when a drummer and percussionist are present. Fortunately this is minimal but for these ears it takes away from the recording.

  Jae Sinnett