[JPL] Al Di Meola/Hearing

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 18:55:17 EDT 2006

That's what I suspected with him Russ. The volume. Many of that generation suffer from tinnitus. I do myself in my right ear....more than likely from the rock I played in the 70's. I know Peter Erskine deals with it....Charlie Haden is another although not sure how his came about. Many of the artists that dealt with electric instruments do and those that underestimated the frequencies. Some think that only the high end causes the damage but the low ends can be just as bad. That's one conversation I would love to have with some of the fusion musicians from that era.....how they now deal with their hearing in terms of the tinnitus. I eat fresh ginger which helps interestingly enough.

  This is something I've become very sensitive to over the years. It can happen to programmers as well. I know when I come in to do my jazz program....which comes on after the alternative music show....the headphones are blasting! I'm like damn.....how in the world can this guy hear anything? Programmers shouldn't underestimate the importance of quality headphones because they can help in cutting down on the dangerous frequencies. It's worth the investment....truly.

  Jae Sinnett