[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Sept 18

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 02:19:37 EDT 2006

Still Another Jazz Show  Sept 18

RANDY WESTON AND HIS AFRICAN RHYTHM TRIO   “Berkshire
Blues”
“Hi Fly”   ZEP TEPI        Random Chance Records

RANDY WESTON SEXTET    “Jimmie lyons Intro” “Berkshire
Blues”                     MONTEREY '66     Verve
Records

THE LINE UP       “Little Lucas”   ONE FOR ALL
Sharp Noine Records

MARK MASTERS  ENSEMBLE    “Tree Tops”     “Monk
Sphere”   WISH ME WELL        REFLECTIONS OF GARY
McFARLAND    Capri Records

MADELEINE  PEYROUX     “The Summer Wind”   “Blue
Alert”    Rounder Records

HOT CLUB OF DETROIT    “Troublant Bolero”      Mack
Avenue Records

DIANA KRALL    “Isn't It A Beautiful Day”   “How
Insensitive”    FROM THIS MOMENT ON      Verve Records

NAT KING COLE    “My Kinda Love”   “The Surrey With
The Fringe On Top”
“Miss Otis Regrets”   AT THE SANDS    Capitol Jazz

THE TAYLOR /FIDYK BIG BAND    “Blues Alley Intro”
“Full Count”
LIVE AT BLUES ALLEY    OA2 Records

KENNY GARRETT   “Calling”   BEYOND THE WALL   Nonesuch
Records

MULGREW MILLER TRIO     “Relaxin' At Camarillo”  LIVE
AT THE KENNEDY CENTER    VOLUME ONE        MAXJAZZ

TANIA MARIA     “Aye”     INTIMIDADE    Blue Note

RANDY WESTON AND HIS AFRICAN RHYTHM TRIO begins this
edition if SAJS.  The CD is recent, ZEP TEPI, a
retrospective of his  music, a celebration of his 80
years as a musician. We played “Berkshire Blues,” a
popular blues bop figure in the fifties, named after
an  music Inn in Berkshire Massachusetts and as most
jazz tunes probably written on the spot, off the cuff
while in performance and just foolin' around. And here
it's a loose and wonderful as always with Alex Blake
on bass and Neil Clarke on drums.    The other
performed was “High Fly,” one of those great classic
bop tunes that just about everybody recorded in those
days.  This performance is so grand with
extemporaneous joy it sounds like it's a live
performance which means there's a sort of 'divine
repore' with it's members.
And brings us to the next selection, which is 40years
earlier, RANDY WESTON SEXTET,  MONTEREY '66.   We
start with Jimmie Lyons, the man responsible  for The
Monterey Jazz Festival as he introduces this stellar
band, Ray Copeland, Cecil Payne, Bill Wood, Lenny
McBrowne, Big Black and special guest Booker Ervin. We
played “Berkshire Blues” featuring Ray Copeland on
trumpet. There's another version  of this by Booker
Ervin that's especially good,( thought I had it but
misplaced it somewhere.) And the band walks on every
tune and there's something about Booker. His horn
overflows with passion, guts and blues. He about makes
you smile...every time.
Congratulations to this joyful bop giant, Randy
Weston.
Now since Weston has put us into this,'feels like bop
spirit' bliss we  just have to conclude this segment
with THE LINEUP.    On the jewel box jacket they
resemble a crew of cheap con artists, gandy dancers or
grifters on the game, but they're really top flight,
no frills, some of New York's finest and we don't mean
plain clothes detectives, but who knows, so check if
any of them drive  a black Ford LTD around Manhattan.
They are Eric Alexander,Jim Rotundi, Steve Davis,
David Hazeltine, John Webber and Joe Farnsworth.  We
played Eric Alexander's ample fort those who like to
stretch tune,  a post bop classic, 'Little Lucas.”
Cause babies knows their father's thinking...
MARK MASTERS ENSEMBLE begins the second segment with a
new cd exploring the talents of Gary McFarland in WISH
ME WELL.
I recall McFarland in the sixties. I was dj at an MOR
fm station in Detroit. We blended  a little jazz in
with the Tijuana Brass and Skitch and Vickie Carr. We
some McFarland beatle music with him harmonizing and
playing vibes. It was cute but a little harder with
Olivia Newton-John but she had a pop hit fever in
those days.  MOR placated the middle earth syndrome
with no hanging juggernauts. You just try Little
Willie John next to Annette Funicello. And follow up
with the Fuggs . Frank Zappa would a dug it but
suburbia would have been somewhat perplexed.  As Bush
would say in his meanderings;, IT'S HARD WORK... Mark
Masters has developed  a thoughtful and tasteful view
of McFarland's  work here on this new CD. As far as
I'm concerned McFarland was and will always be
considered  member of the West Coast brotherhood in
his skillful thoughtful arranging especially his days
as composer / arranger for the Gerry Mulligan Concert
Jazz Band.
and composing. We played “Tree Tops” a never before
recorded piece featuring baritone saxophonist Gary
Smulyan Then another just released selection, “Monk's
Sphere.” Masters really brings out all the joy,
lyricism and hip carefree swing so apparent in
McFarland's  approach to life, liberty and the pursuit
of happiness.
It's only apropos to follow up with MADELEINE PEYROUX
and her latest HALF A PERFECT WORLD. We played “Summer
Wind, ” an all time favorite  sung by Sinatra in the
sixties as one of his formative hit songs and others
that I'm unaware of at this writing... Johnny Mercer
wrote it and we're appreciative. A lovely song and
sung with grace and aplomb by Madeleine Peyroux .
Larry Klein, Joni Mitchell's ex and  is a prominent
producer/contributer on this new CD by Peyroux.  ”Blue
Alert” by Leonard Cohen is next with an alarming
intimate reflection. It's more a metaphor, where sex
and war are the ultimate aphrodisiac.
Just cool and make sure our soldiers are cared for and
protected.
HOT CLUB OF DETROIT is next with this marvelous new
CD, then I'd be sure to say Hi.  This is Django
Reinhardt Euro art neuvo . If you don't believe then
listen to this marvel and sedentary evolution from max
to myth and to the mythology of Maxism. This is real
French Corsican corsetry.Oops! There could be some
backlash from the back rest! but soon it'll be the
best, a jazz honorarium being explored. By the new
HCOD. That's the way we close the second segment. And
then why can't we go Hot Clubbing, just for the want
of it.
We played a Reinhardt tune, a classic, “Troublant
Bolero.”
When analyzing anything, make sure our part  and that
precious of history in the  overall post modern scheme
is preserved.
DIANA KRALL begins the second hour of SAJS with her
new CD, FROM THIS MOMENT ON.  Diana has a deep, sexy,
even sultry  voice.  Remember some of the great
actresses of the forties, Lauren Bacall,  Elizabeth
Montgomery, Rosalind Russell and Ava Gardner. Krall
has a similar character and especially on her version
of “How Insensitive” as she lowers an octave to go
where few other woman jazz singers can reside
comfortably. She can. And skipping along on  a light
and fancy “Isn't This A Lovely Day,”especially as she
sets the pace on piano. The arrangements are
especially compelling with the Clayton/Hamilton
Orchestra. The arrangement on “From This Moment on” is
especially swinging and explosive.
  I've always had this feeling that her phrasing is
influenced by Nat King Cole. So why not back it up
with the great NAT KING COLE AT THE SANDS.  This
recording is indeed a collectors item, recorded in
1960 and remastered and released again on CD  by
Capitol Records in 2002. It may be his only live
recording.   The music is fantastic and show Cole's
ability to drive an audience with repor and style. The
music is classic, “I Wish You Love,” Ballerina,” “The
Continental,” “Miss Otis Regrets,” “Joe Turner Blues,”
(Be proud Jimmy Rushing, three encores and the crowd
at the Sands went wild!) And then he calls a tune, “Mr
Cole won't rock & roll.” Chuck Berry would be
energized by this extemporaneous  ploy and many
references to the sixties and even played piano on “In
A Mellow Tone.”
Now whether one can really compare  Diana Krall to Nat
King Cole  is admittedly a big stretch. However, when
there's an opportunity to play this rare Nat King Cole
recording in some sort of context. We'll do it
whenever we get the chance.
We conclude this segment with another new live
recording of THE TAYLOR /FIDYK BIG BAND  LIVE AT THE
BLUES ALLEY. There are pockets  in North America where
great jazz is practiced and flourishes and the
Washington DC area is one of them. And this burly 16
piece band leaves nothing on the table. It's all
straight ahead, no over dubs, everything au natural.
We played “Full Count,” written by Mark Taylor.This
recording demonstrates what live big band jazz is all
about nowadays.
KENY GARRETT begins the last segment of SAJS with his
new BEYOND THE WALL CD.  Since the cover  has a large
photo of the great wall of China we can only imagine
the metaphor signifies something, a theoretical
approach beyond the manifestations of jazz from
Garrett who has been exploring other avenues in the
last few years much like Coltrane in the sixties. And
he's assembled the right muscular players in Pharoah
Sanders, Mulgrew Miller, Bobby Hutcherson, Robert
Hurst and Brian Blade. We played “The Calling.”
There's a real true Coltrane/Sanders straight ahead
approach, a kind of jamming appellate rage and with
Brian Blade and Robert Hurst kicking it from behind
with Mulgrew Miller jamming in “Beyond The Wall.” And
you hear Kenny's hot alto burning it up.  There's
kind of new fresh energy here, a yearning for straight
ahead, satisfied.
MULGREW MILLER follows with his latest on MAXJAZZ,
LIVE AT THE KENNEDY CENTER, VOLUME ONE.  Since
Garrett's now on hard bop alert we'd be reckless to
break the spirit intended. Now's the time for Charlie
Parker's “Relaxin' At Camarillo.” And this tune has
Parker's  happy  exhilarating bebop signature all over
it.
Mulgrew Miller is one of the hardest working jazz
piano players today. He sure knows how to play hard
bop.
TANIA MARIA concludes with her new release on Blue
Note, INTIMIDADE. We played the fast paced catchy,
“Aye,” a real jam and she underplays the lyric, a sort
of a re harmonizing effect; talk softly and we all
listen more closely.
What a way to say arriva derci! Til next time.

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
MONDAYS, 10 AM & 10PM, PACIFIC
“The Voice” 88.7fm