[JPL] Stephen Colbert disses John Zorn

Jeff Turton jturton at comcast.net
Sun Sep 24 07:23:02 EDT 2006

 From the MacArthur website:

The Nomination Process

Q. How are candidates brought to our attention?

A.  So that we can expand our search for creative people as widely as
possible while keeping the number of nominations manageable, we limit
our consideration only to those who have been nominated by someone
from our constantly changing pool of invited external nominators.
Applications or unsolicited nominations are not accepted.

Q. Who are the nominators?

A.   In order to gather fresh perspectives, we invite throughout the
year new nominators across the spectrum of human activity; they serve
confidentially for terms of several months.  Nominators are
identified for their expertise and familiarity with exceptionally
creative people in their respective areas of focus.  We maintain a
large and ever-growing list of potential nominators who have been
recommended to us from many sources:  Foundation board members,
selection committee members, past nominators, and various experts
across the country.  We also identify people who are recognized
leaders in their fields and whose work naturally exposes them to a
wide variety of interesting and creative people.

Q. How do nominators nominate?

A. Nominators write a letter to the program director, usually a page
or two, describing the person they are nominating and their reasons
for doing so.  These letters focus on the quality and creativity of
the nominees and their work, and on the likely benefits of the award
to the recipient.  We ask them to suggest the names of others who can
provide independent evaluations of their nominees.  Nominators may
submit any number of nominations they please.

Q. How many nominations are received during the course of a year?
How long does it take for a nomination to move through the selection
process?

A. We receive several hundred nominations per year, but not all of
them are considered that same year.  The shortest possible interval
from nomination to award is about nine months, but it normally takes
more than a year, sometimes several.

Q. Do some people know that they have been nominated?

A. Occasionally nominees do find out, but not from us.  We
specifically ask nominators and evaluators not to contact the nominee
or others regarding the nomination.  Since individuals can’t apply
for the fellowship or promote themselves as candidates, and because
many more are nominated than will receive a fellowship, it is best
for individuals to remain unaware of their nomination.

The Selection Process

Q. What is the Selection Committee?

A.  The Selection Committee consists of approximately 12 people who
serve confidentially and are chosen for their breadth of experience,
excellent judgment, and curiosity. In identifying members for the
committee, we look for depth of interest in at least one major field,
broad familiarity with other major fields, and, above all, an
enthusiasm for creative ideas and important issues within and outside
of their areas of expertise.  Committee members bring experiences
from many different perspectives – the arts, humanities, social
sciences, biological and physical sciences, the professions,
business, and public service – but individual members do not speak on
behalf of a particular discipline.  Because the committee works as a
group, the decision on each nomination represents a collective
judgment drawn from a wide range of insightful and discerning
perspectives.  At the end of each review cycle, some members rotate
off the committee, and individual selectors generally serve for three
years.

Q. What information does the Selection Committee use to make its
recommendations?

A. Prior to review, each nomination is assigned to one of the
program's senior staff.  Staff members draw from the nominator's
letter, experience with nominations in similar areas, and independent
investigation to prepare a file for the Selection Committee.  The
file is generally composed of letters of evaluation from experts in
the nominee's field and samples of the nominee's work that exemplify
their creativity, such as articles, books, slides, films, and audio
or video recordings.  It may also contain reviews of those works and
reports about the nominee published by others.

Q. What is the selection process?

A.  Having reviewed the background materials collected, the Selection
Committee meets to discuss the nominations against the selection
criteria.  If the nomination appears promising, selectors will work
with staff to develop a strategy for further investigation.  Other
nominations are deferred pending additional work forthcoming from the
nominee. For still other nominations, a consensus develops that
further consideration is not warranted. At the final meeting for each
review cycle, the Selection Committee identifies the most outstanding
nominations, representing a spectrum of creative activity, for
recommendation to the Board of Directors for that year's MacArthur
Fellowships.  Nominations that do not advance within a particular
review cycle are retained for possible subsequent reconsideration.

Q. Why all the confidentiality?

A.  All of the participants in the selection process – nominators,
evaluators, and selectors – serve anonymously, and we keep their
communications confidential.  Anonymity protects them from being
inundated with unsolicited requests.  In addition, our experience
shows that people readily provide frank impressions if they have an
assurance that their responses will not be disseminated beyond the
program staff and Selection Committee.

The Board of Directors

Q. What role does the Board of Directors play in the MacArthur
Fellows Program?

A.  The Board of Directors established the MacArthur Fellows Program
and is ultimately responsible for its overall policies and
procedures.  Throughout the selection cycle, the Board is kept
apprised of Selection Committee progress.  At the end of the cycle,
the Board receives for its consideration and approval the committee's
formal recommendations for MacArthur Fellowships.  In addition, the
Board of Directors authorizes the invitation of members of the
Selection Committee who have been recommended by the program's staff.