[JPL] Stephen Colbert disses John Zorn

DPolletta at aol.com DPolletta at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 08:27:20 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/24/2006 4:43:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net writes:

But I  also agree with Bobby Jackson to some extent -- i.e. Zorn gets
no  MAINSTREAM jazz airplay but he is very popular at college radio as
are recordings by other artists on his label Tzadik>

The more melodic tracks by the Masada Quartet are staples on my evening
program.  Any time I play a piece from the Masada Chamber ensembles,  especially
the 50th bday celebration discs, I receive an email from listener to  ask what
it was.  The piano recordings by Anthony Coleman also have some  very
accessible material.

Much of the Tzadik stuff is too blown out for most mainstream jazz radio,
but when we engage in our regular discussions about attracting a younger
audience, I have found that younger folks have a much greater interest in this
material by Zorn etal compared to the early 70s fusion that so many 50 year  old
programmers think kids are into for some reason.

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM