[JPL] Stephen Colbert disses John Zorn

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Mon Sep 25 08:19:28 EDT 2006

I never thought I would ever get mixed up in this Colbert/Zorn mishigas
(Yiddish for "craziness") but let's not forget that the MacArthur Award was
given to Zorn not just for his musical compositions and saxophone playing
but for the fact that he operates a record label, Tzadik, which is
responsible for, among other things, bringing Jewish music beyond klezmer
into the 21st century.

This weekend I included in my program, from Paul Shapiro's Midnight Minyan,
the song, "To Life" (La Chaim).
Also on the same CD is song called "Sim Shalom." That is Yiddish for "Grant
Us Peace."

Happy New Year All ,

Steve Schwartz
Jazz from Studio Four