[JPL] Fats Waller - New Radio Special

Andy Cahn cahnmedia at comcast.net
Mon Sep 25 13:10:15 EDT 2006

I'm happy to announce that the "Fats Waller: If You Gotta Ask" radio
special will be ready to ship on CD by next Monday and arrive in time
for October broadcasts.

Can you please respond to this note as soon as you can to make sure you
are on this mailing list?  Can you also let me know if you have any
dates & times planned for this to air on your station?

Until then you can also hear and/or download online the show from PRX at
http://www.prx.org/pieces/13986.  If you have access to NPR's online
catalog through the PRSS website, you can find this program by searching
for "Joyride Media Specials."

For more details, please read on or click the link below.
http://cahnmedia.blogspot.com/2006/09/specials.html

Thanks,

Andy Cahn
cahnmedia at comcast.net
215-279-7632

-------------------------------------

FATS WALLER: IF YOU GOTTA ASK

One-hour music intensive documentary about Fats Waller, one of America's
great composers and performers of the 20th century. His songs, stride
piano style and on-stage and on-screen antics were legendary and made
him one of the first African-American superstars.  Pianist/composer Dick
Hyman is the host.

Count Basie sat at his feet to learn, Art Tatum considered Fats the
best, and Waller's stride style influenced Louis Armstrong, Duke
Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck and many others. Strangely
enough, two things happened to Fats after he died: he essentially
disappeared from our culture's memory for over 30 years, and when he was
talked about, it centered around his clowning and humor, which was
sorely misunderstood.

Despite his untimely death, Fats Waller spent nearly every day of his
short life making the music he loved. In that time, he created a rich,
prolific legacy that today is justly revered. Whether you're a musician,
a jazz scholar, or just someone who likes to sing along to "Honeysuckle
Rose," you know Fats Waller is one of the all-time greats.

Host: Dick Hyman
Producer: Joyride Media - Paul Chuffo & Joshua Jackson
Broadcast Window: Begins late September 2006
Length: One-hour, with breaks for local spots (no built-in barter spots)
Terms: Available for all USA radio broadcasters at no cost

Andy Cahn
Cahn Media
200 West Washington Square #2302
Philadelphia, PA 19106