[JPL] Stephen Colbert disses John Zorn

Peter Solomon psolomon at ideastations.org
Mon Sep 25 15:40:06 EDT 2006

Have you ever seen Zorn live? He's captivating. I don't know if his
on-stage charisma translates as well to his recordings. I think a lot of
"edgy" or so called "free" jazz is more engaging in live performance than
it is on recordings. I didn't really get Roscoe Mitchell until I heard him
in live performance. Anyway, I know that the young music students around
here are almost universally impressed by Zorn and Masada. I haven't
rerally played any of it on my show though.

Peter S. WCVE