[JPL] The Wonders Of Wonder

Ron Gill ron_gill at verizon.net
Wed Sep 27 16:55:31 EDT 2006

From: RGEE Productions
Publicity: The Wonders Of Wonder

RGEE Productions presents, Ron Gill sings, The Wonders Of Wonder, at the Regattabar in the Charles Hotel on October 4, 2006.
Ron Gill, recognized as one of Boston’s formidable jazz singers and producers will be performing the songs of Stevie Wonder for this latest venture. Known for his critically acclaimed recording, The Songs Of Billy Strayhorn, Ron says, “ This collection of Stevie Wonder songs is just a small part of a larger plan I had several years ago to produce a concert with singers and dancers doing the songs of Wonder. I scaled it down to just a few particular choices of songs that I could do in a sort of jazz related context. In no way is my performance an imitation of Stevie because what Wonder does is personal and definative.”
Over the years in his performances, Gill has included songs by Stevie Wonder, but this is the first time he has performed a group of songs in one setting.
“I consider myself fortunate, “ Gill explains, “because I have with me a wonderful group of musicians who have worked with me over the years.” His musical partners, pianist, Manny Williams and drummer, Reid Jorgensen, have been with him since 1968 when the band was formed. For this performance of Wonder songs he has added percussionist, ChaCo Ramirez, who was with him in an earlier group, and was on his debut recording in 1978. Completing the group is saxophonist, Phillippe Crettian, guitarist, John Stein and bassist, Keala Kaumeheiwa.
As Gill continues to explain, “ this project is one of several moves as a singer, to expand my repertoire and try things I’ve thought about but have never done. I am in the planning stages for another project to do early next year performing songs that are not usually associated with me. Basically, I look  at it as challenging myself.

Ron Gill sings “The Wonders Of Wonder”, The Songs Of Stevie Wonder, at The Regattabar, Charles Hotel, Cambridge, October 4, 2006 at 7:30 pm, one performance.
Tickets: 617-395-7757.
www.regattabarjazz.com

Ron Gill