[JPL] Revisiting Ray and Basie

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Thu Sep 28 19:32:50 EDT 2006

I love the new Basie/Ray CD.  Although I'm not usually a fan of technology
and music, this is real musicians playing, and although Ray is canned, using
a live artist wouldn't draw the same crowd as Ray can and Jazz needs a
little draw.

I'm not worried that this is a domino theory with record labels redoing
Coltrane and Miles.  We haven't been flooded with dead duets after Natalie
Cole's CD.

It's good music and fun. In trying to attract people to jazz, which is part
of my mission Ray Charles and this music is a great tool.  The sound quality
fits better in my format than some of his work from the 50s although I play
some of that.  I'm definitely on it and by the way having heard the Basie
ghost band recently and been disappointed in their somewhat blah
performance, I was glad to hear the fire back in the band on this recording.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix
91.5 Fm