[JPL] Revisiting Ray and Basie

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Thu Sep 28 21:19:29 EDT 2006

The way I look at it, if people listen to this and then a local or national
big band is doing a similar show I can make a connect and encourage the fans
to hear something in person.
Get them to like a tune or the sound of those horns, and encourage them to
hear it live.
This kind of CD is like a little foothold into the mind of the barely jazz
listener.

This is the most difficult thing I think, to get people away from the TV and
out to a show, especially after 9/11.  I have about 50,000 listeners a week
and if I can move even a small percentage to go hear a live show I'm
expanding the base.  Last year the Basie band came to town, people went but
not a sell out.  After this Cd with the right promo and a live singer in
Ray's shoes it might get more suits in the seats.  In my market where all
the money is over 50 a little nostalgia is a good thing.

And I see a new jazz fan as just the most wonderful thing to behold, because
then there are a million directions to go, big band, bop, cool, hot, old
new.   And getting people to live events is a big part of my mission;
because it's there that they will fall in love.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix
91.5 Fm