[JPL] Songwriters Birthdays - December

Michelle Mobley michelle_mobley at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 2 02:26:07 EST 2007

Dick -

Let's not forget my favorite Italian-American performer of popular music born
in December:

Dec. 7 (1910)   Louis Prima - Although the tune he is most famous for writing
both the music and lyrics to is "Sing, Sing, Sing", he re-arranged the lyrics
of many old standards to bring them back to life. Additionally, he is credited
with writing the words and music to:  Twinkle In Your Eye, Just As Much,
Bourbon Street Blues, Everybody Knows, Big Daddy amd some schmaltzier stuff as
he struggled to remain marketable past his era.

- also -

Dec. 12 (1915)  Although Ol'Blue Eyes is not credited with writing anything,
Frank Sinatra is/was, perhaps the best intrepreter of many of the standards you
listed, also beautifully re-arranging the lyrics to old and lost Tin Pan Alley
tunes to return them to popular music.  (We make his birthday an annual event
for an excuse to find a high-end Italian restaurant that will play his music
while we dine.)

Michelle from Peeedro
<michelle_mobley at sbcglobal.net>