[JPL] Changes at jazz89KUVO, new GM & PD promotion

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Mon Dec 3 21:00:18 EST 2007

In November of 2006 the visionary founder and only GM/CEO of Denver
Educational Broadcasting dba jazz89KUVO resigned after over 22 years at the
helm, Program Director Carlos Lando was named interim GM. After nearly a
year of searching and evaluating candidates a new President/GM was appointed
and P.D. Carlos Lando has been given additional duties as C.O.O in charge of
day-to-day management decisions, programming and staff issues while the
President/GM will be responsible for financial matters and raising the funds
necessary for three major projects facing jazz89KUVO over the next 3 years.
jazz89KUVO was awarded a new frequency for the growing and prosperous Vail
Valley area, home to the annual Vail Jazz Festival over the Labor Day
Weekend, we need to install a new tower to broadcast to that area west of
Denver and the Continental Divide. jazz89KUVO is also facing the cost of
relocating our present tower due to a dismantling of the "antennae farm" it
is currently situated in, finally the Oasis Performance Studio's HVAC system
has to be upgraded to include a humidifier to prevent damage to our
Bösendorfer piano due to the extreme arid climate of Denver's mile high
altitude. All of these project require capital funds which our new
President/GM has experience acquiring. All of us at the station are happy
that the new President/GM will not be changing our day-to-day format and
operations and get us the capital we need to continue growing as a music
intensive, community based, independent radio station of the highest
standard.   Arturo

Here's the official press release:

Gene Craven Hired to Lead jazz89KUVO
Longtime Radio Veteran to helm nation’s Jazz Station of the Year

A new era is set to begin in Denver public radio.

Following an extensive  six-month search that saw station officials
interview candidates from throughout the nation, the Board of Directors for
jazz89 KUVO  have announced the hiring of Gene Craven as the station’s new
President and General Manager. When he goes to work he’ll become only the
second general manager in KUVO’s 23-year history.

“I’m grateful this search yielded someone with the strong radio credentials
of Gene Craven, “said Michael Marez, president of the KUVO Board of
Directors.  “Gene’s proven track record of guiding public radio outlets
throughout the country convinced the Board that he was the right person to
lead KUVO at this time and will be able to move the station forward.”

With a career that spans some 26 years in public radio as a station manager.
programmer, and fundraiser, Craven is indeed qualified to lead
listener-supported KUVO.

“I was intrigued by KUVO because it’s one of the three or four public radio
stations in the Denver market with good infrastructure and air signal but
that’s also looking to become more competitive in the marketplace,” Craven
said. “That’s the kind of challenge to which I’ve grown accustomed during my
career.”

The 59-year-old Johnstown resident arrives at jazz89 KUVO after managing his
own consulting firm, Aspen Management Resources.  Over the past five years,
his company has helped a variety of organizations strengthen their planning
and development activities, including Aspen Public Radio and Carbondale’s
KDNK-FM.

Prior to launching his firm in 2005, Craven spent five years as the
associate general manager for WGCU Public Media at Florida Gulf Coast
University in Fort Myers, Florida, where he supervised a staff of 50 and
managed an annual budget of more than $3 million.  While there, he oversaw
construction of the school’s broadcast studio and conceived/launched a $20
million major gifts campaign.