[JPL] Cecil Payne on Dobbin's Den

Len Dobbin lendobbin at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 4 09:37:04 EST 2007

This is the material by Cecil that I'll be airing on my memorial salute on
December 9th.  He plays alto on Jay Bird and doubles on flute on Casbah and
here's some info on the switch from alto to baritone.  Pete Brown was an
early teacher in Brooklyn.

The last time Cecil was in Montreal I did an interview with him.  It was
there that I learned about the circumstances of his switching from alto to
baritone sax.  Our mutual friend B.T. [nee Benjamin] Lundy called him to
inform him that Roy Eldridge was auditioning musicians for a new big band.
Cecil showed up only to find that Roy was using his brother Joe on alto but
that the baritone chair was open, Cecil says he had an old bari at home in
the back of a closet, one with leaky keys, he went back home and got it,
came back and auditioned and got the job and was with Roy until Dizzy
Gillespie hired him for his big band in 1946 - Lundy also made that edition
of Roy's band.

Len

CECIL PAYNE MEMORIAL

J.J. JOHNSON

BEBOP SPOKEN HERE [PROPER BOX]

Jay Bird (on alto)

DIZZY GILLESPIE

COMLETE RECORDINGS [RCA]

Ow!

Stay On It

JAMES MOODY

NEW SOUNDS [BLUE NOTE]

Cu-Ba

TADD DAMERON

FATS NAVARRO STORY [PROPER BOX]

Sid's Delight

CLARK TERRY

SWAHALI [LONEHILL]

Kitten

DUKE JORDAN

TRIO & QUINTET [SAVOY]

Scotch Blues

RAY CHARLES

THE BEST OF . [ATLANTIC]

Hallelujah I Love Her So

RANDY WESTON

WITH THESE HANDS [RIVERSIDE]

The Man I Love

CECIL PAYNE

PATTERNS OF JAZZ [SAVOY]

This Time The Dream's On Me

CASBAH [STASH]

Casbah (bari & flute)

PAYNE'S WINDOW [DELMARK]

Martin Luther King Jr.

ROLF ERICSON

AND HIS ALL AMERICAN STARS [FRESH SOUND]

Forecast

JOHN COLTRANE

DAKAR [PRESTIGE]

Mary's Blues