[JPL] Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 6 08:46:57 EST 2007

New music…a salute to the late, great Grover Washington, Jr…a whole lotta soul-jazz and much more next week!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (10-16 December 2006)

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
When we have new music to spring on you we do it on Sunday afternoons on our special feature we call PREMIER SUNDAY. Beginning at 5 PM Eastern/2 PM Pacific, you’ll hear the inventive group of funk and groove merchants from Richmond, The Modern Groove Syndicate, with a brilliant, new work they’ve been crafting for a year titled “Ms. Popular.”  Believe me, it’s been well worth the wait.  Then it’s Chicago-based flutist Nicole Mitchell and her Black Earth Ensemble with “Black Unstoppable.”  Lastly, we’ll get in the holiday spirit with four cool, new releases filled with sounds of the season as we hear guitar master Larry Carlton and his vocalizing wife Michele Pillar with the holiday release “I Hear Angels Calling,” vocalist Jacqui Naylor jazzify the classics on “Smashed For The Holidays,” followed by Brian Auger’s Oblivion Express’s take on “We Three Kings,” and an all-star group of Chicago guitarists including John McLean and John Moulder with their yearly holiday release to benefit The Toys For Tots Foundation.  They call the group Guitar Madness and the 2008 release is “Welcome Everything,” and it’s filled with jazzy holiday cheer.  So listen for these five very nice holiday gifts of new music just for you this Sunday at 5 PM east/2 PM west as we kick off the Sunday Specials with another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz.

This Monday, December 10th, we’ll celebrate another birthday as we present another edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the most beloved saxophonists in jazz history, GROVER WASHINGTON, JR.  Just two days before what would have been his 64th birthday, you’ll hear an hour or his award-winning music featuring his distinctive sound and those familiar songs that made him famous worldwide. Plus you’ll hear some of Grover’s own words to shed light on his wonderful life and career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week the focus is on the late, great GROVER WASHINGTON, JR. on Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle features some of the young studs of the jazzy jamband movement, Marco Benevento and Joe Russo, plus unsung heroes Ulu and Lettuce, the organ groove of Germany’s Barbara Dennerlein, and much more!

This week join us for a funky good time as we present SOUL-JAZZ SUPERSTARS LIVE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week you’ll hear some of the world’s most famous artists who brought the worlds of soul and jazz together in the funkiest of fusions.  You’ll hear the late, great Grover Washington, Jr, Ramsey Lewis with Earth, Wind & Fire from 1975, and two of the most famous masters of the organ, the Smith Boys…Dr. Lonnie and Jimmy, all on stage and all as funky and soulful as a bowl of grits! It’s SOUL-JAZZ SUPERSTARS LIVE on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

This week we’ll investigate the fusion of soul and jazz on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Well, this week, beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece by the likes of Ahmad Jamal, Lonnie Liston Smith, Bobbi Humphrey, Jimmy Smith, Boogaloo Joe Jones, Dexter Wansel, Donald Byrd, Roy Ayers, Freddie Hubbard and so much more. It’s the fusion of Soul and Jazz on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective. Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in our week-long celebration of soul-jazz by remembering the jazzy side of the late, great James Brown by remembering the great man a year after his passing.  You’ll hear music from Sex Mob, Christian McBride, Joshua Redman, George Duke, T.J. Kirk & more!

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, December 15th, we'll get just a little emotional and reflective at the holiday season by remembering some of the greats of MOJA who’ve left us recently with a special presentation titled GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!  Join Russ Davis as he shares some of the conversations he’s enjoyed over the years with four of the greats of all time who passed away far too soon.  You’ll hear from Grover Washington, Jr., Joe Zawinul, Herbie Mann and Michael Brecker. Interview segments followed by music begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN…this week’s WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested s ongs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.