[JPL] Music Preview: Kenny G shrugs off critics, racks up sales

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 13:10:36 EST 2007

I see your point Toby but I would have to disagree in that Kenny is bringing folk to John Coltrane or jazz period. That's a myth. I remember folk saying that he would get folk to the jazz section of the record stores...yep he did...to buy HIS records or anything that sounded like HIM. Everywhere you look in jazz sales your theory doesn't ring true and it's simply because the styles are radically different. The only similarity is the title associated with them...jazz. You may have had a spect of crossover but looking at end results...it's a flatline towards anything that would make a difference in how jazz thrives. I've said this before and I'll say it now...smooth jazz has hurt what most on this list understands jazz to be. I see it every time I perform. In concert...clubs...parties...."hey, can you play Boney James? We can dance to that. The culture is so amazingly dumbed down that I sadly think it's at a point of no return...at least in most of our lifetime. I'll also say
 this again...education is the key to getting more to understand this music...not smooth jazz.

Jae Sinnett

  For sponsorship info: email jplsponsor at jazzweek.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Though I have made a personal vow never to play a Kenny G CD on my
radio shows, I have, lately, found myself in the somewhat awkward
position of DEFENDING "smooth jazz." The fact of the matter is that
three of the of the most famous jazz record labels in the U.S. began
their existence producing what was then called "commercial jazz;" -
well performed, lushly produced and packaged and less melodically
challenging than straight ahead, be bop or modern free jazz. Those
labels were Impulse, Verve and CTI (Blue Note stuck with more
straight ahead jazz.)

That style of jazz went on to be called "cocktail party jazz," and,
ultimately, "smooth" jazz. It is jazz, just jazz with a more R&B-
style rhythm section. Thus, it is more accessible, less challenging
and easier to dance to than other jazz styles.

Kenny G has probably brought more people to John Coltrane than all of
jazz radio combined, just by his playing the soprano sax. And that is
a good thing. If smooth jazz, in general, helps to hip more people to
straight ahead, be bop, big band or modern jazz, then it is to be
applauded, not derided.

We who have straight ahead jazz radio shows don't have to PLAY smooth
jazz, but we shouldn't spend out time and energy bitching about it.
We should be finding ways to connect it to what WE do for the
listener and turn new listeners on to the purer forms of jazz that we
play.

Toby Gleason
KRCB-FM

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com