[JPL] Richard Williams

Len Dobbin lendobbin at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 6 21:59:11 EST 2007

He died in NYC on November 5, 1985 - he was 54 - he left a fair recorded
legacy beginning with Mingus ("Dynasty") and continuing with sessions with
people like Carmen McRae, John Handy, the Ernie Wilkins big bands, Slide
Hampton, Gigi Gryce, Leo Wright, Oliver Nelson, Randy Weston etc - "New Horn
In Town" done for Candid in 1960 seems to be his sole date as a leader and
Bobby Thomas, the drummer on that one, now lives in Montreal. His last
recording would seem to be with altoman Vern Fridie in 1983.

Len Dobbin