[JPL] Good Jazz Bios

Michelle Mobley michelle_mobley at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 11 01:27:06 EST 2007

Ed - Thank you for...well, you know.

Another book one should not miss is "Laughter From The Hip" by Leonard Feather
and Jack Tracy.  It is full of anecdotal mini bios about the antics of our
beloved maestros of America's music.  The stuff our jazz musicians have done to
each other is way too funny.

Michelle from Peeedro

--- EdBride at aol.com wrote:

> For sponsorship info: email jplsponsor at jazzweek.com
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> In a message dated 12/10/2007 11:46:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jumpmonk at hotmail.com writes:
>
> <<..Many good suggestions so far, but Sanna's original question  was about
> recommended bios of Duke and Ella..>>
>
> I did not interpret the request as being limited to Duke and Ella, those
> were merely examples. The question also mentioned several pianists as other
> examples.
>
> One should not go through life without reading "Living with Jazz," by  Dan
> Morgenstern. The long chapters on Duke and Satchmo almost qualify as
> mini-biographies. The rest of his book comprises selected articles from Dan's
>  long and
> distinguished career in Jazz journalism/advocacy.
>
> In fact, how he got to America and into Jazz is also worth the price of
> admission.
>

> Ed

  Michelle Mobley
  660 West 11th St.