[JPL] Good Jazz Bios

JASS jassav at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 07:40:04 EST 2007

The Miles Davis Reader
Interviews and Features from DownBeat Magazine

DownBeat magazine (est. 1939), the bible of "jazz, blues, and beyond,"
proudly launches the first book in its DownBeatHall of Fame Series.
DownBeathas documented Miles Davis's career like no other journal in the
world. From Davis's first DownBeatinterview in 1950 to his death in 1991,
the magazine captured each nuance and phase of his career through cover
stories, features, news items, and reviews. This book is a long-overdue
compilation of everything DownBeatmagazine has written about Miles Davis, a
book packed with glimpses into the artist's career as it happened - from the
polite young trumpeter making a name for himself, to the bombastic
innovator, to the near mythic legend. It's a must-read for anyone interested
in perhaps the most enigmatic and enduring star in jazz history.

Publisher Hal Leonard
ISBN-10 142343076X
ISBN-13 9781423430766
Publication Date 2007
List Price $24.95

______________________________

Hi,

I'm looking for a jazz biography to give as a holiday present.  Can anyone
suggest a well-researched, highly readable biography on, for example, Duke
Ellington or Ella or some  of the bop pianists, such as Bill Evans, Bud
Powell, Erroll Garner - or any other jazz biography, for that matter, that
resonated with any of you, and is informative and a good read.  We enjoyed
David Hajdu's book, Lush Life, on Billy Strayhorn and were hoping to find
something equally moving and well-written about some of the other musicians.
We already have biographies on Pres, Diz, Basie, Billie, Miles (at least
three), etc.  It's hard to know which of several biographies on Duke or
Ella, for example, are the best.

You could reply offline.

Thanks,
Sanna