[JPL] Good Jazz Bios

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 08:54:39 EST 2007

Someone mentioned Ben Ratliff's book, Coltrane The Story of A Sound. Ben
was my co-host a few weeks ago. In his opening statement on the show he
said the book was not a bio. I tried to argue that I thought it was and
he thought a bio should include more of the complete life of the artist.
  I haven't finished his book but it seems to me he deals with the
musical life of Coltrane and that may be the distinction he is making.

I just got the Spring Catalog from the University Of Michigan Press.
There is a listing for a new bio called Delightfulee, The Life & Music
of Lee Morgan by Jeff McMillan. No I haven't read it but I thought I'd
mention it.

Bob Blumenthal has a new book that is due to be released next week. It
is not a bio. It's a history of jazz and it's called Jazz: An
Introduction to the History and Legends Behind America's Music. It is
simplistic in the sense that I would call it a good book for someone who
has never read a jazz history before. If you've studied your history,
it's not the kind of detailed book that is loaded with new facts and
information. But it is an interesting, easy read. Bob will be my co-host
on December 17 from 8 pm until midnight. You can listen in at
www.wgbh.org/jazz . Don't click on the link that says Jazz With Eric in
The Evening. That's a link to a recorded program. Click on the link that
says Listen Live.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston