[JPL] Thanks for the Good Jazz Bio References

Tetrachord Music sftreat1 at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 11 16:46:00 EST 2007

Dear JPL Smarties,

I appreciate your thoughtful suggestions regarding my query about good jazz
bios and  related books.  I categorized and alphabetized each of the titles
you sent me for future reference - since I can't buy them all at once - and
am sending the compilation to the JPL list with my thanks.  Please see the
list below.

May this holiday season be a good one for all of you.
Sanna

Sanna Craig / Larry Vuckovich
Tetrachord Music
707-942-9007

Biographies & Autobiographies

Albany, Joe -Low Down by A.J. Albany
Amram's, David - Upbeat: Nine Lives Of A Musical Cat by David Amram
Armstrong, Louis - Satchmo: My Life in New Orleans by Louis Armstrong
Armstrong, Louis - Louis Armstrong: An Extravagant Life by Laurence Bergreen
Armstrong, Louis - Louis Armstrong: The Offstage Story Of Satchmo by Michael
Cogswel
Armstrong, Louis - Satchmo: The Genius of Louis Armstrong by Gary Giddins
Bechet, Sidney - Treat It Gentle by Sidney Bechet
Beiderbecke, Bix - The Definitive Biography of a Jazz Legend by J.P. Lion &
G. Page-Fort
Art Blakey - Art Blakey: Jazz Messenger by Leslie Gourse
Braxton, Anthony - Forces In Motion by  Graham Locke
Cheatham, Jeannie  -Meet Me with Your Black Drawers On by Jeannie Cheatham
Cole, Nat King - Nat King Cole by Daniel Mark Epstein
Coltrane, John - John Coltrane: His Life & His Music by Lewis Porter
Coltrane, John - Coltrane: The Story of a Sound by Ben Ratliff
Condon, Eddie - We Called It Music by Eddie Condon
Crosby, Bing - Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams by Gary Giddins
Desmond, Paul  - Take Five by Doug Ramsey
Ellington, Duke - The World According to Duke Ellington by Stanley Dance
Ellington, Duke - The Life and Genius of Duke Ellington by John Edward Hasse
Ellington, Duke - Ellington: The Early Years by Mark Tucker
Ellington, Duke - Duke Ellington by Barry Ulanov
Gillespie, Dizzy - The Life & Times Of John Birks Gillespie by Donald L.
Maggin
Hampton Hawes - Raise Up Off Me by Hampton Hawes
Herman, Woody - The Leader Of The Band by Gene Lees
Kaminsky, Max - Jazz Band: My Life In Jazz by Max Kaminsky
Kirk, Rahsaan - Bright Moments: The life and Legacy of Rahsaan Roland Kirk,
by John Kruth
Masakela, Hugh - Still Grazing: The Musical Journey of Hugh Masakela by Hugh
Masekela
Melly, George - Owning Up by George Melly
Mezzrow, Milton "Mezz" - Really the Blues by Milton "Mezz" Mezzrow
Mingus, Charles - Mingus: A Critical biography, by Brian Priestley
Monk, Thelonious - Straight, No Chaser: Life and Genius of Thelonious Monk
by Leslie Gourse
Morgan, Lee - Delightfulee, The Life & Music of Lee Morgan by Jeff McMillan
Morton - Jelly Roll - Mister Jelly Roll by Alan Lomax
O'Day, Anita - High Times Hard Times by Anita O'Day
Parker, Charlie - Chasin' The Bird: The Life & Legacy Of Charlie Parker by
Brian Priestley
Pastorious, Jaco - Jaco: The Extraordinary & Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius,
by Bill Milkowski
Pepper, Art - Straight Life by Art Pepper
Puente, Tito - Tito Puente & The Making Of Latin Music by Steven Loza
Ra, Sun - Space Is The Place: The Lives and Times of Sun Ra by John Szwed
Riddle, Nelson - September In The Rain: The Life Of Nelson Riddle by Peter
Levinson
Ruff, Willie and Mitchell, Dwike - Willie And Dwike: An American Profile by
William Zinser
Scott, Jimmy - Jimmy Scott:  Faith in Time by David Ritz
Silver, Horace - Let's Get To The Nitty Gritty by Horace Silver
Snow, Valaida - High Hat, Trumpet and Rhythm: Life & Music of Valaida Snow
by Mark Miller
Tristano, Lennie - Lennie Tristano by Eunmi Shim
Webster, Ben - Someone to Watch Over Me by Frank Buchmann-Moller
Wilder, Alec - Alec Wilder and His Friends by Whitney Balliett
Williams, Mary Lou - Morning Glory - A Biography of Mary Lou Williams by
Linda Dahl

Jazz Essays/Conversations/Interviews/Compilations

The 50 Greatest Piano Players Of All Time by Gene Rizzo
City Of Gabriels: The History Of Jazz In St. Louis, 1895 - 1973 by Dennis
Owsley
Down Beat Hall of Fame Series - first book:  Miles Davis (covers 1950 to
1991)
Duke Ellington Reader by Mark Tucker
Four Lives in the Be-bop Business by A.B. Spellman
Hear Me Talkin' to Ya! (Story of Jazz by the Men Who Made It) by Nat Shapiro
& Nat Hentoff
Jazz, Black And White: Cats Of Any Color by Gene Lees
Jazz: An Introduction to the History and Legends Behind America's Music by
Bob Blumenthal
Jazz: A History of America's Music by Ken Burns and Geoffrey E. Ward
Laughter From The Hip by Leonard Feather and Jack Tracy - anecdotal mini
bios
Lee Konitz Conversations on the Improviser's Art by Andy Hamilton
Living with Jazz by  Dan Morgenstern
Madame Jazz (mini bio of women In jazz) by Leslie Gourse
Miles, Ornette. Cecil: Jazz Beyond Jazz by Howard Mandel
Notes and Tones: Musician to Musician Interviews by Art Taylor
The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross
Souled American: How Black Music Transformed White Culture by Kevin Phinney
Talking Jazz by Ben Sidran
West Coast Jazz by Ted Gioia

Jazz Mystery Novels
Real Gone, Horn Gone Blues by bari player Skoot Larson
Death of a Tenor Man, Looking for Chet, Bird Lives!  and others by drummer
Bill Moody