[JPL] Batista's new pitch is slow jazz

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 13 12:40:15 EST 2007

Thanks aLOT, Bobby!   Well, I've never looked to professional sports
figures
as founts of musical knowledge, but sadly there are people who will
believe
anything baseball players tell them, even if/when they say they're NOT
taking
performance-enhancing drugs!

But Batista really revealed the depth of his musical knowledge when he
said,

> "It's an instrument where you can play a song in almost every key. And
> that's what I like about it. You don't have much of a limit. It's one
> of the
> harder saxes to learn how to play because of how much air you need to
> put into it, but it's worth the challenge."

... play a song in 'almost every key'?  Wow!  Amazing!  What'll they
think of next?
Also, I've played bari, and I've played alto, and soprano just a bit,
and I can tell
you the bigger the horn, the more air it takes to fill it.

I shouldn't complain, though.  Almost EVERYbody's a baseball expert,
aren't they?

;-)

Jim

PS:  On another Seattle musical sidebar, this article from today's
Seattle Times.
Remember "Little Pony" by Basie, & LH&R?  The spirit lives in small
jazz clubs
if not in huge sports stadia!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/
2004067621_poindexter130.html