[JPL] Chris Botti review by Nate Chinen

KZSU Jazz jazz at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Dec 13 20:55:19 EST 2007

That lead paragraph seemed a bit too dismissive coming from a serious
reviewer (and Nate is one of the very best -- his back-to-back JJA
Jazz Awards will support me in that assertion). And I can't be sure
about some of the sideman comments since I wasn't there. But most of
that review sounded spot-on to me.

I heard Botti at Monterey last year, and as I recall he spent the
first half of the set proving his chops, making what seemed to be a
very deliberate attempt to say, "see, I dig Miles, too!" Then there
was a gotcha moment much like the one Chinen described, and from that
point on everything got smoother, sappier and more tedious.

The man can definitely play, but his head and heart are somewhere
else, I think. I'm not even sure it's about "selling out" or anything
like that. He's in his own place musically, and more power to him.

[FB]