[JPL] Programmer/Chefs

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 17:56:33 EST 2007

Yepper Bobby, it does work. Jeff, I'm curious if you do that as part of your show or seperate?

  One of the keys...the main word that keeps coming up with folk responding is how "easy" it is for them to make the dishes. I want to make everyone feel they can make a good tasty and healthy dish and also learn to enjoy this music. I tell them you don't have to be a trained chef to make good food. In fact next year I will start the wantabe chef society. Here's an example of one of my recipes...a simple salmon dish and also look at is as my holiday gift to the JPL...I gave this one out and I had 63 responses in four days afterward! Now what jazz you would play with it....don't know. I can hear a few things....Enjoy my friends...

  Salmon

  Sauce,

  ½ cup honey
  1 tablespoon or a little less of Greek seasoning
  ¼ cup chopped pecans or a little more
  ½ teaspoon red pepper
  Salmon filets

  Season salmon with creole seasoning (I use a brand called Konriko) or just salt and pepper. You can bake, pan cook in butter or grill it.

  Stir the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Pour that mixture into a sauce pan and heat on low-med heat until it starts to bubble. Stir constantly take off heat. When fish is done spoon sauce over it and serve.

  Hope you enjoy it. Very easy.

  Jae

"Jackson, Bobby" <Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org> wrote:
  This week's sponsor:

Seasons Greetings and Sunny Warm Wishes to Welcome 2008 from Lucky Jazz Music!

Linda Ciofalo's Sun Set. featuring a smart set of 12 songs inspired by the sun Linda Ciofalo - voice, John DiMartino - piano, Joel Frahm - saxes, John Hart guitar, Marcus McLaurine - bass, Matt Wilson - drums

'For her newly released theme album Sun Set (Lucky Jazz Music) Linda Ciofalo selected tunes that explore heat, times of day, weather, light and other sunny topics. What her choices demonstrate is, first, how many great songs the sun has inspired and second, that gravitas isn'¹t necessary to create serious music. Ciofalo is a sophisticated singer and her voice carries a smile. It¹'s a winning combination.' ~ All About Jazz

Business Contact: Heide Scott 516 457-1040 Email Jazzpact at aol.com

www.LindaCiofalo.com

Jae,

This idea is somewhat akin to what we did with Jazz Tracks here in Cleveland. I actually produced several shows over the years that incorporate jazz and food. There are a ton of jazz songs that deal with food. We would often go to different local restaurants, food junkets, get authors of food books, food critics from the local newspapers and intertwine them. It works and yes, we got positive responses from the community.

Some years back there was a book authored by Bob Young, Al Stankus and Deborah Feingold called, "Jazz Cooks" that featured the favorite recipes of about 90 high profile jazz musicians (is that an oxymoron???).

I've known about your interest in food for a long time. It's interesting to me that you've found a way to incorporate that into your music programming. There are so many things that we as programmers are interested in besides music. Just look at all of the things we've managed to talk about on the JPL besides music. Our lifestyles do creep in, even on this list. The same goes for your audience. The notion of bringing other areas of our culture into your music mix is a good one. I do think it makes for more interesting listening and a way to grab the attentions of people less inclined to listen to the music. The larger culture is a programming asset if we think of clever ways to incorporate it. I think your notion is a great one.

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson
WCPN-FM/Cleveland, OH