[JPL] Frank Morgan Interview with Roy Durfee

Sophia Peron info at jazzinn.com
Mon Dec 17 20:02:45 EST 2007

Excellent - http://www.newmexicojazz.org/Audio/FrankMorganPartOneForWeb.mp3

Frank Morgan lived in New Mexico off and on for about the last 15 years,
making Taos, N.M. his home from about 2001 til 2005. When he wasn't on
the road performing, he would hold forth in Taos, in the soaring lobby
of the Historic Taos Inn on Wednesday or Saturday nights, the
traditional "Jazz Nights." Accompanied by New Mexico musicians like Dan
Lizdas, Steve Figueroa, or Chris Ishee on piano, Peter Amahl, Diego
Arencon, John Trentacosta on drums, and many other fine New Mexico
musicians. Frank also played concerts in New Mexico with George Cables,
and his other favorite players, whenever he could.

2001through 2004, Frank would stay with us at our "Jazz Inn" bed &
breakfast when coming from, or going out on tour. He would fly through
Albuquerque, two hours south of Taos, and 2000 feet lower in altitude,
and spend the night with us, of course, impressing our B&B guests, and
keeping us country folk apprised of the international jazz "scene."

When we moved to Truth or Consequences, New Mexico in 2004, Frank was
fascinated, and made a point of performing the second jazz concert we
produced in town, even though he had already moved to Minnesota. Frank
had asked to arrange the chairs "theater in the round" style on the
floor of the theater instead of the stage, several hundred jazz fans
were blown away by sitting so close to the musicians, and Frank playing
without any amplification. He was impressed by the audience reception
and their knowledge of the music.

We just had a Steinway piano donated to our performance space and were
planning on a show with Frank in the future . . . we miss him as a
musician and a friend.

straight ahead . . . Sophia & Nicholas Peron