[JPL] Joel Dorn

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Dec 19 09:56:15 EST 2007

I didn't talk to Joel much over the last few years. I remember meeting
him at a JazzTimes convention in L.A. We were sitting in the lobby
talking but we hadn't introduced ourselves. When he told me his name I
almost jumped out of my chair. Growing up in Camden NJ, across the
bridge from Philly, I remembered Joel from his days as an announcer in
Philly. You could say I grew up listening to him.

Arturo mentioned a CD that Joel produced called Songs That Made The
Phone Light Up. As a listener to Joel and WHAT between 1961 and 1965 I
remember hearing those songs over the air. To me, they were hits. It
must have been right around when Joel left WHAT that younger listeners
started listening to WRTI.

I will always remember his warmth and his wit.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz