[JPL] Duke Love You Madly DVD

Toby Gleason toby_gleason at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 19 12:56:24 EST 2007

Dear Eric,

Thanks for the kind mention of my father's 1965 EMMY Award nominated
Duke Ellington documentaries Love You Madly and A Concert Of Sacred
Music At Grace Cathedral. Ellington, himself, in his autobiography
Music Is My Mistress, called them "the best film about Duke Ellington
ever made" (they were originally envisioned as one film.)

My Executive Producer credit on the DVD is something of an honorary
title, as I had nothing to do with the production of the original
programs. I was 12 then. I just sort of oversaw the packaging design
and production and proof-read publicity notices and stuff for the DVD
release.

The audio CD of the premier sacred concert that you mentioned is a
bootleg, taken from stolen or misappropriated Wally Heider master
tapes which should have been in the possession of Ralph Gleason.

Other currently available Gleason-produced programs include: Bob
Dylan Speaks; The Legendary 1965 Televised Press Conference and A
Night At The Family Dog, a performance documentary featuring Santana,
the Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead. Coming soon are a re-
issue of Ralph Gleason's Jazz Casual television series on DVD, his
10th Anniversary Monterey Jazz Festival documentary on DVD, with a
companion book and a complete book collection of Gleason's album
liner notes.

Best regards,

Toby Gleason
KRCB-FM