[JPL] Frank Morgan on Demand

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Thu Dec 20 15:41:10 EST 2007

We all know by now of the sad passing of alto saxophonist
Frank Morgan last Friday, December 14th.

To hear Frank as you've never heard him before go to:

http://www.wgbh.org/webcasts/

There, you will hear Frank play Dizzy Gillespie's "Night In Tunisia"
recorded by
WGBH at Scullers Jazz Club in Boston on February 25th, 1993.

Frank was working with the local rhythm section of the day.
Pianist James Williams, John Lockwood on bass and Alan Dawson on drums.

I am very proud to have Produced this recording with WGBH Engineer James
Donahue

You can also read my remembrance of  that night and of a later engagement at
the same venue.

I also have this personal recollection of Frank which did not make it on the
website:

Another memorable occasion was in August of 2005. Frank was booked to play
the Marblehead Jazz Series in that North Shore seaside community. We made
the drive up from Boston, found a place to park the car and were walking
towards
the church where the concerts were held. As we walked up Mugford Street,
there was Frank, coming out of a guesthouse across the street from the
church.
With saxophone case in hand he descended the stairs as a cat on the sidewalk
stopped and looked up at him. When Frank hit the sidewalk, he bent over and
gave the cat a head scratch, then another and started to pet him and talk to
him.
The cat liked that and rolled over on his back, exposing his belly. Frank
continued
to rub and scratch and coo. He gave the cat one final head rub and continued
across the street to the gig. His band included pianist Hilton Ruiz; Curtis
Lundy
playing bass and Yoron Israel on drums. His playing was a personification of
what we had just seen: Gentle, playful, yet forceful at the same
timeŠwith great humor, also.

Enjoy!

Steve Schwartz
Host/Producer