[JPL] next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 21 14:56:29 EST 2007

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL…GOOD GROOVE!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (24-30 December 2007)

This Monday, December 24th, is Christmas Eve of course but guess who’s got a birthday to celebrate on the day after Christmas?  None other than the great guitarist JOHN SCOFIELD! And we’ll be celebrating with him on our weekly feature MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS! You’ll get the mojo behind the music from John himself as in his own words he tells the stories that shed light on his brilliant career. Plus you’ll hear lot’s of his great solo work as well as his collaborations with the likes of Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie and more. Listen Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific. It’s a birthday celebration of one of the true greats of MOJA on this MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS featuring an hour of the music of the birthday boy JOHN SCOFIELD on Beyond Jazz.

We’re having a holiday party and you’re invited to a special Beyond Jazz Holiday Presentation…THE 2007 CHRISTMAS JAZZ JAM! Listen on Monday night, Christmas Eve, from 10 PM-Midnight ET/7-9 PM Pacific, for two hours of the coolest, jazzified Christmas tunes by the biggest stars of MOJA.  You'll hear holiday favorites given the seasonal treatment by the likes of Larry Coryell, Nnenna Freelon, Chick Corea, Dianne Reeves, John Scofield, Miles Davis, Larry Carlton and a heavenly host of other merry jazzmen and women!  That’s Christmas Eve at 10 PM ET/7 PM Pacific...Then on Tuesday, Christmas Day, wake up and open those presents, with the jazzy side of Christmas as your sound track, as we present more of THE 2007 CHRISTMAS JAZZ JAM from 9 AM-Noon ET/6-9 AM Pacific, for three hours of a Cool, Jazzy Yule!  So listen Christmas Eve beginning at 10 PM East/7 PM West and on Christmas Morning at 9 AM East/6 AM West to get JAZZED with Christmas spirit! It's our 2007 CHRISTMAS JA ZZ JAM from XM 72, Beyond Jazz!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle serves up a tasty gumbo for her last show of the year with a heaping helping of New Orleans groove from The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Kirk Joseph’s Backyard Groove & Bonerama.  Plus you’ll hear some of her fave groups like Medeski, Martin & Wood, New Cool Collective and the Benevento-Russo Duo, plus her main men, Robert Walter & Will Bernard, and more!

This week we’ll take a look back at some of the brightest moments in a stellar year for MOJA as we present THE BEST LIVE PERFORMANCES OF 2007 on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  And this week you’ll hear some of the best live performances heard for the first time on XM 72 this year including, Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Allan Holdsworth, Erik Truffaz, Groove Collective, Marcus Miller and more! It’s THE BEST LIVE PERFORMANCES OF 2007 on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fus ion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective. Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark reveals the last Beyond Jazz chart of the year with highlights from the new Top 20 of the hottest new MOJA heard here on XM 72.  He’ll also tell you how you can get a copy of the chart for yourself.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and this week  Beyond Jazz looks back at the year just about to pass with a very special edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” titled, oddly enough, "THE BEST OF 2007!” Join Russ Davis as he talks to twelve of the stars of modern jazz who shared their thoughts and music with him in 2007. In January it was Steven Bernstein of Sex Mob and violinist Jenny Sheinman, in February at IAJE it was Ornette Coleman, Pat Martino and Stefon Harris, followed in March by Marc Carey  and Steve Khan plus a trip to the SF Bay area to talk to Joshua Redman. The Summer brought us a trip to Montreal to talk to Medeski, Martin & Wood, The Yellowjackets, Wayne Shorter and many more. Then we closed out the year visiting with Jean-Luc Ponty, Claire Martin, Mocean Worker’s Adam Dorn, Larry Carlton and the Fab Four Of Fusion, Return to Forever, Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Lenny White and Stanley Clarke as they announced their plan to reunite in 2008 for a grand tour of the world. As you can see there’s more to cover than we have time for but we’ll do our best as we begin each hour with conversation followed by music beginning at Noon through Midnight Eastern time, that’s 9 AM to 9 PM Pacific. It’s "THE BEST OF 2007,” this Saturday’s “WORDS & MUSIC” on Beyond Jazz!

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.