[JPL] Computers and the future of Jazz Radio

mfree at posi-tone.com mfree at posi-tone.com
Fri Dec 21 16:05:36 EST 2007

Computers and the future of Jazz Radio: Email and Electronic Preview.

As the year comes to a close its a good time for reflection on our recent
past, the opportunities in the present and the possibilities of the near
future. As members of the jazz record community we have a lot to thankful
for because we get to spend our time working with great people, listening
to a bunch of talented artists making good music and ideally working with
products we believe in and enjoy beyond any consideration of their
"commercial value."

Still we cannot ignore that all of us are ultimately in the "business of
selling jazz records" and there are many unanswered questions and concerns
about what the days ahead hold in store for the industry in general, our
genre in specific, and how a small jazz companies and radio stations can
best adapt and survive by making better use of the Computer technology and
Internet information systems available to us in the ever changing world we
live in.

While there are also many important questions about the marketplace that I
think need to be asked and answered by all of us as individuals, these are
the relevant questions about the use of Computers in the future of Jazz
Radio that I am bringing to this forum of Jazz Programmers specifically:

1) WITH THE VAST AMOUNT OF UNSOLICITED AND UNEXPECTED PRODUCT ARRIVING AT
YOUR OFFICE DAILY ARE YOU FINDING YOURSELF BURIED AT YOUR DESK BEHIND A
PLASTIC REPLICA OF THE MANHATTAN SKYLINE MADE OUT OF CD JEWEL CASES?

2) DO YOU THINK THE JAZZ RADIO COMMUNITY IS SUFFICIENTLY COMPUTER FRIENDLY
AS A WHOLE TO ACCEPT THE IDEA OF LISTENING TO AN ELECTRONICALLY DOWNLOADED
PREVIEW OF NEW PRODUCTS AND COMMUNICATING PRIMARILY BY EMAIL?

3) WILL AN ELECTRONIC PREVIEW OF PRODUCTS WORK FOR YOU PERSONALLY AT YOUR
JOB?

4) LASTLY, AS AN INDIVIDUAL MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY, IS EMAIL A BETTER OR
PREFERABLE WAY TO WORK WITH YOU RATHER THAN VIA THE TELEPHONE?