[JPL] Computers and the future of Jazz Radio

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Fri Dec 21 17:02:04 EST 2007

Computers and the future of Jazz Radio: Email and Electronic Preview.

As the year comes to a close its a good time for reflection on our
recent
past, the opportunities in the present and the possibilities of the near
future. As members of the jazz record community we have a lot to
thankful
for because we get to spend our time working with great people,
listening
to a bunch of talented artists making good music and ideally working
with
products we believe in and enjoy beyond any consideration of their
"commercial value."
TRUE
Still we cannot ignore that all of us are ultimately in the "business of
selling jazz records"
UNTRUE....WE PROGRAM MUSIC, WE DON'T SELL RECORDS.  IT IS NOT OUR INTENT
TO SELL RECORDS.  WE WANT TO BUILD OUR AUDIENCE.  IF PEOPLE GO OUT AND
BUY RECORDS WE PLAY THEN THAT IS SIMPLY A BY PRODUCT OF WHAT WE DO.
WHILE ON THE AIR, IN THE PUBLIC EYE OR OVER THE INTERNET, I'VE NEVER
SENT OR ENCOURAGED ANYONE TO GO TO THE STORE TO BUY A RECORD OF ANY
KIND.

"YOU" WANT TO SELL RECORDS.  YOU PEDDLE AND PUSH RECORDS FOR US TO PLAY
SO YOU CAN MAKE A SALE.  WE MAY OR MAY NOT PLAY THE RECORDS YOU SEND
BASED ON WHAT THE CONTENT IS AGAINST THE PARTICULAR SOUND OF OUR
STATIONS.

and there are many unanswered questions and concerns
about what the days ahead hold in store for the industry in general, our
genre in specific, and how a small jazz companies and radio stations can
best adapt and survive by making better use of the Computer technology
and
Internet information systems available to us in the ever changing world
we
live in.
OKAY....

While there are also many important questions about the marketplace that
think need to be asked and answered by all of us as individuals, these
are
the relevant questions about the use of Computers in the future of Jazz
Radio that I am bringing to this forum of Jazz Programmers specifically:
OKAY....SHOOT!

1) WITH THE VAST AMOUNT OF UNSOLICITED AND UNEXPECTED PRODUCT ARRIVING
AT
YOUR OFFICE DAILY ARE YOU FINDING YOURSELF BURIED AT YOUR DESK BEHIND A
PLASTIC REPLICA OF THE MANHATTAN SKYLINE MADE OUT OF CD JEWEL CASES?
Product is expected whether it is solicited or not.  It's the nature of
the beast on this end of the business.  Yes, there's too much product.
I'm currently working on Brooklyn as Manhattan is complete (I still have
the World Trade Center on my replica too)....Okay, go on..

2) DO YOU THINK THE JAZZ RADIO COMMUNITY IS SUFFICIENTLY COMPUTER
FRIENDLY
AS A WHOLE TO ACCEPT THE IDEA OF LISTENING TO AN ELECTRONICALLY
DOWNLOADED
PREVIEW OF NEW PRODUCTS AND COMMUNICATING PRIMARILY BY EMAIL?
Most are and some aren't.  The idea of getting mp3 downloads is
appealing because I can get rid of it if I want to.  I have enough
"coasters" on my desk.  It is an eye sore.

3) WILL AN ELECTRONIC PREVIEW OF PRODUCTS WORK FOR YOU PERSONALLY AT
YOUR
JOB?
Yes,

4) LASTLY, AS AN INDIVIDUAL MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY, IS EMAIL A BETTER
OR
PREFERABLE WAY TO WORK WITH YOU RATHER THAN VIA THE TELEPHONE?
Email is perfectly acceptable.  It will save time.  I still want to hear
from marketers who have become friends over the years however.  I
believe it's important to have that personal connection.  Ultimately we
are people dealing with other people.

Bobby Jackson
WCPN-FM/Cleveland, OH

List information: