[JPL] Hank Marr King/Federal recordings....Re: jazzproglist Digest, Vol 9, Issue 394

Linda Dachtyl lindaleed at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 22 17:49:00 EST 2007

I have a a bunch of Hank Marr's recordings from the King/Federal days
from 45's I have converted to sound files to the complete original
LPs of "Greasy Spoon" and "Live at the 502" and would be willing to
share these ....... if they are out of print.

The more recent DoubleTime recordings are still readily available.
Here are the links I was able to find:

http://www.doubletimerecords.com/scripts/dtr102.asp
http://www.doubletimerecords.com/scripts/dtr134.asp
http://www.amazon.com/Hank-Marr/artist/B000AQ6T18/105-6478638-9228428
http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=hank+marr&submit=search
http://www.emusic.com/artist/Hank-Marr-MP3-Download/11758390.html

The "City Lights" CD, released by Marr alum, guitarist Tom Carroll
features wonderful work from Hank, Tom Carroll, and drummer Jim Rupp.
http://www.cojazz.com/sales.htm

I was one of Hank students and am a jazz/blues organist in Columbus,
OH. On my first CD release, "Blue Bop" on Chicken Coup Records, I
recorded some Hank covers ("Silver Spoon" and "Bridge to Shangri-la")
and recorded a number of other tunes on the CD with Hank Marr alums
(Gene Walker-Tenor Sax, Tom Carroll-Guitar, Jim Rupp-Drums).

I will be releasing my new CD, "For Hep Cats" on Chicken Coup Records
on January 8. Gene Walker and Jim Rupp are on this CD, also.

As far as I know concerning the alums from the King/Federal label
days, Wilbert Longmire is living in Cincy, is featured on the more
recent Double Time recordings, is actively gigging, and hosts a jazz
radio show in Cincy. On occasion, Wilbert has come up to Columbus to
play with Gene Walker's "Listen for the Jazz" afternoon jam at the
Hot Times In Olde Town East Festival in Columbus.
http://timberens.com/interviews/longmire.htm
http://www.hottimesfestival.com/

As far as the other alums from the King/Federal days....
Tenor saxophonist, Rusty Bryant passed away in the early 1990's.
I do not know much about the drummer on the King/Federal recordings.

Here are a couple of things of what I was able to find when googling
"Gene Redd" who is listed as a co-writer on Hank's recordings from
the King/Federal days:
http://www.bsnpubs.com/king/kingstory.html
http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/federal.htm
http://books.google.com/books?id=OGyWw-
M5wFsC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=hank+marr+gene
+redd&source=web&ots=4eFpe8yi_N&sig=zmFXVYWWk_k1vXborPtHWQCd6jc

I would be happy to share anything I have of the older Marr
recordings...... provided that they are out of print. I would assume
the King/Federal things have been for many years.
The Double Time and CoJazz ones are still available, so order them at
the links I provided.

The Aebersold play along books are available here:
http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=V49DS&Category_Code=
http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=V59DS&Category_Code=
http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=V65DS&Category_Code=

There is also a museum display dedicated to Hank at the King Arts
Complex in Columbus, which hosts a number of jazz shows throughout
the year.
One of Hank's B3s is part of the display.
http://www.thekingartscomplex.com/contact%20us/index.htm

Happy Holidays to all!

Linda Dachtyl
http://www.myspace.com/ldb3