[JPL] King Oliver

JASSavannah jassav at comcast.net
Sun Dec 23 18:45:43 EST 2007

I will forward your email to Julius "Boo" Hornstein (who is somewhat an
authority on Mr. Oliver.  King Oliver died penniless in Savannah in 1938
(which would make a great film, Mr. Eastwood).  Thanks to "Boo's" many years
of dedicated work on the Oliver legacy, this past year, Wynton Marsalis
participated in a dedication to Oliver at a location near where he worked
shortly before his death (a pool hall on West Broad Street /
http://savannahnow.com/node/249378 ).

Larry

Larry Dane-Kellogg
WHCJ  90.3 FM
Savannah, GA

From: "Peter Solomon" psolomon at ideastations.org

I was cruising through redhotjazz.com and found a couple of trumpet/piano
duets featuring King Oliver with Jellyroll Morton.
I've never really gotten as clear a picture of what King Oliver sounded
like and thought fello jazz folks might find this of interest.