[JPL] Oscar Peterson RIP

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 24 13:51:57 EST 2007

Thanks, Len.   The CBC story is here:
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/12/24/obit-peterson-oscar.html

Yes, indeed.   The gentle giant has moved on.  I met him in the 60s
when I was lucky enough to be doing live broadcasts from a club (The
Penthouse) where he played once or twice a year.  The first OP trio I
heard there was the one with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen.  I was impressed
that someone who played with such power was such a gentle-man in all
ways. I was sitting with him at the bar between sets one night when a
drunk stumbled and fell... and the first person on his feet to help him
up was Oscar Peterson.

I knew then it was a special privilege to be in the presence of such
jaw-dropping greatness, and the audience knew it then, too.  The club
always had a line down the block for each set each night of his ten day
runs.  Later performances in the the 3000 seat Opera House were also
sold out, and so were recent performances at Jazz Alley in Seattle.
Again, I was allowed the honor of introducing him.  I was always very
moved by the experience, especially so this last time when he left his
walker at stage left and ever so slowly made his way to the bench
without it, holding on to the piano all the way with his warm smile
greeting a standing ovation before he played a note!    I still get a
lump in the throat thinking about it.

He remains one of the most impressive musicians I've ever met or heard.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org