[JPL] Oscar Peterson RIP

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 14:44:47 EST 2007

Oh man...Oscar. Stunning really but the generation has been disappearing right before our eyes. This is huge. Oscar...just the name. I remember working with Herb Ellis and talking with him about Oscar. He said he never "felt" anything like that from any other musician. Oscar's power and his gentleness. His extraordinary technique was obvious but it's knowing when and how to use it that made him special. When I listen to the "Exclusively For My Friends" box set...I know exactly what Herb was talking about. The piano playing on that collection defines who he was as a pianist. Besides Tatum he was the only pianist that ever left me speechless after some of his performances. "Sandy's Blues" is one of them.

Jae Sinnett

Jim Wilke <jwilke123 at comcast.net> wrote:
  This week's sponsor:

Seasons Greetings and Sunny Warm Wishes to Welcome 2008 from Lucky Jazz Music!

Linda Ciofalo's Sun Set. featuring a smart set of 12 songs inspired by the sun Linda Ciofalo - voice, John DiMartino - piano, Joel Frahm - saxes, John Hart guitar, Marcus McLaurine - bass, Matt Wilson - drums

'For her newly released theme album Sun Set (Lucky Jazz Music) Linda Ciofalo selected tunes that explore heat, times of day, weather, light and other sunny topics. What her choices demonstrate is, first, how many great songs the sun has inspired and second, that gravitas isn'¹t necessary to create serious music. Ciofalo is a sophisticated singer and her voice carries a smile. It¹'s a winning combination.' ~ All About Jazz

Business Contact: Heide Scott 516 457-1040 Email Jazzpact at aol.com

www.LindaCiofalo.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks, Len. The CBC story is here:
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/12/24/obit-peterson-oscar.html

Yes, indeed. The gentle giant has moved on. I met him in the 60s
when I was lucky enough to be doing live broadcasts from a club (The
Penthouse) where he played once or twice a year. The first OP trio I
heard there was the one with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen. I was impressed
that someone who played with such power was such a gentle-man in all
ways. I was sitting with him at the bar between sets one night when a
drunk stumbled and fell... and the first person on his feet to help him
up was Oscar Peterson.

I knew then it was a special privilege to be in the presence of such
jaw-dropping greatness, and the audience knew it then, too. The club
always had a line down the block for each set each night of his ten day
runs. Later performances in the the 3000 seat Opera House were also
sold out, and so were recent performances at Jazz Alley in Seattle.
Again, I was allowed the honor of introducing him. I was always very
moved by the experience, especially so this last time when he left his
walker at stage left and ever so slowly made his way to the bench
without it, holding on to the piano all the way with his warm smile
greeting a standing ovation before he played a note! I still get a
lump in the throat thinking about it.

He remains one of the most impressive musicians I've ever met or heard.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com