[JPL] Oscar Peterson RIP

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Mon Dec 24 19:48:20 EST 2007

I was just reading an article yesterday, in which the author proclaimed Keith Jarrett to be "arguably the world's greatest living jazz pianist", and I was thinking "but what about O.P.........?".  Unfortunately no longer true.

Rest in peace, Mr. Peterson.  You've given a lot of joy to a lot of people.  A(nother) huge loss for the jazz family.

I'm on the air right now... will go into something from O.P.s Christmas cd.

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone.

Aloha, and the Light is On.

Brad

This week's sponsor:

Seasons Greetings and Sunny Warm Wishes to Welcome 2008 from Lucky Jazz Music!

Linda Ciofalo's Sun Set. featuring a smart set of 12 songs inspired by the sun Linda Ciofalo - voice, John DiMartino - piano, Joel Frahm - saxes, John Hart guitar, Marcus McLaurine - bass, Matt Wilson - drums

'For her newly released theme album Sun Set (Lucky Jazz Music) Linda Ciofalo selected tunes that explore heat, times of day, weather, light and other sunny topics. What her choices demonstrate is, first, how many great songs the sun has inspired and second, that gravitas isn'¹t necessary to create serious music. Ciofalo is a sophisticated singer and her voice carries a smile. It¹'s a winning combination.' ~ All About Jazz

Business Contact: Heide Scott 516 457-1040   Email Jazzpact at aol.com

www.LindaCiofalo.com

Oh man...Oscar. Stunning really but the generation has been disappearing right before our eyes. This is huge. Oscar...just the name. I remember working with Herb Ellis and talking with him about Oscar. He said he never "felt" anything like that from any other musician. Oscar's power and his gentleness. His extraordinary technique was obvious but it's knowing when and how to use it that made him special. When I listen to the "Exclusively For My Friends" box set...I know exactly what Herb was talking about. The piano playing on that collection defines who he was as a pianist. Besides Tatum he was the only pianist that ever left me speechless after some of his performances. "Sandy's Blues" is one of them.

Jae Sinnett