[JPL] Special Features next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 10:09:44 EST 2007

The first week of 2008 is a CELEBRATION on XM 72-Beyond Jazz!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (31 December, 2007 - 6 January, 2008)

This Monday, December 31st, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS! on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the great living masters of modern jazz guitar, JOHN McLAUGHLIN just four days before his birthday. You’ll hear the variety in the music of one of the most versatile players of all time as he plays with Miles Davis, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Shakti, solo and with other artists in All-Star groups.  Plus you’ll hear the comments of two great artists, Bill Evans and Stanley Clarke, who’ve worked with John. Listen Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific just before we kick off our NEW YEAR’S MOJA EXTRAVAGANZA. It’s MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS featuring an hour of the music of the birthday boy, JOHN McLAUGHLIN, on Beyond Jazz

Listen Monday night, New Year’s Eve for the NEW YEAR’S MOJA EXTRAVAGANZA  on Beyond Jazz! It all begins at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific for a two-hour countdown of the top 20 releases in Modern Jazz as heard on Beyond Jazz.  Join your host Russ Davis as he presents the biggest names as well as the surprise newcomers of the year from # 20 to the announcement of the year’s # 1!  It's the two hours just before 2008 arrives ! It's the 2007 MIGHTY MOJA COUNTDOWN from XM 72, Beyond Jazz!  Followed at Midnight Eastern by… THE ALL-NITE LIVE MOJA TIMEZONE THROWDOWN!  Join your host MICHELLE SAMMARTINO as she brings in the new year across the country with the ALL-NITE LIVE MOJA TIMEZONE THROWDOWN!  Listen beginning at Midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific as Beyond Jazz features seven red hot live shows that we enjoyed for the first time in 2006 to bring in the New Year across the time zones of the USA and beyond.
 Here’s the rundown…
Midnight-1 AM Eastern…Robert Walter’s Super Heavy Organ Tour live @ high Sierra (bringing in the New Year for the Eastern Time Zone)
1-2 AM Eastern…Stanley Clarke & Friends Live in L.A. (bringing in the New Year for the Central Time Zone)
2-3 AM Eastern…Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey live from the Berlin Jazz Fest (bringing in the New Year for the Mountain Time Zone)
3-4 AM Eastern…Allan Holdsworth, Allan Pasqua & Jimmy Haslip live from Yoshi’s in Oakland (bringing in the New Year for the Pacific Time Zone)
4-5 AM Eastern…Chick Corea & Touchstone live from Barcelona (bringing in the New Year for the Alaska Standard Time Zone)
Then, we’ll close it all out with two great performances from the XM performance theatre at the XM Mothership in our nation’s capital.
5-6 AM Eastern…Jean-Luc Ponty live from XM in Washington, DC (bringing in the New Year for the Aleutian Time Zone)
6-7 AM Eastern… Chico Hamilton & Euphoria live from XM in Washington, DC (bringing in the New Year for the Hawaii Standard Time Zone)
It’s the countdown of the year’s top 20 followed by 7 hours of hot, live jam…it’ the NEW YEAR’S MOJA EXTRAVAGANZA!  On Beyond Jazz!

THE HISTORY OF FUSION…New Year’s Day on BEYOND JAZZ! (2-6 PM Eastern/11 AM-3 PM Pacific)
On New Year’s Day XM 72 Beyond Jazz presents an encore presentation of our four-part series that takes a look at the moment in jazz history when jazz became electric and the music changed forever...The History of Fusion. Join Beyond Jazz Program Director Russ Davis at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific for PART ONE: THE BIRTH OF FUSION featuring Miles Davis, Larry Coryell, Gary Burton, Dave Holland and others followed by PART TWO: THE SUPERGROUPS OF FUSION featuring the music of Weather Report, Return To Forever, The Mahavishnu Orchestra and others. Then you’ll hear PART THREE: THE SOLO STARS OF FUSION with the spotlight on Fusion greats like Herbie Hancock, Jean-Luc Ponty, George Duke and to close it out, PART FOUR: FUSION-THE 2ND  DECADE with a look at Pat Metheny, David Sanborn, The Yellowjackets, The Brecker Brothers, The Crusaders and more. It’s an XM exclusive…THE HISTORY OF FUSION…New Year’s Day from 2-6 PM Eastern/11 AM-3 PM Pacific on BEYOND JAZZ!

Close out 2007 and welcome the new year by joining Michelle Sammartino as she takes a look at the biggest tunes and artists of the year in the world of the funky side of things with a special edition of her show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! This week join Michelle as she presents her BEST OF 2007 JAMMIN’ JAZZ SPECIAL!!!! I hope you always remember to listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday, at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific, and this week you’ve got to listen if you want to hear the biggest, baddest, funkiest releases of the year, On the next edition of JAMMIN’ JAZZ, Michelle’s BEST OF 2007 JAMMIN’ JAZZ SPECIAL!!!!

This Wednesday and Sunday, we’ll continue a weeklong celebration of one of the greats of jazz guitar as we present JOHN McLAUGHLIN LIVE AROUND THE WORLD on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/ 6 PM and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, we’ll follow the great guitarist around as he trots the globe for live performances from Paris, to London and beyond, performing solo, with the original Mahavishnu Orchestra in 1973, with Shakti in 1976, with Jaco Pastorius and Tony Williams with The Trio Of Doom in 1979 and then with the band he simply called Mahavishnu featuring Dennis Chambers and Bill Evans. It’s JOHN McLAUGHLIN LIVE AROUND THE WORLD on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

It’s a celebration of the fusion of John McLaughlin on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. This week we’ll continue our celebration of the great guitarist JOHN McLAUGHLIN’S birthday with a McLaughlin fusion classic, solo, with Miles, Shakti, the Trio of Doom or The Mahavishnu Orchestra, to being each hour on IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION from XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective. Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in on our week-long celebration of the birthday of the great guitarist John McLaughlin with a show he simply calls “The Music Of John McLaughlin” featuring John solo as well as with Tony Williams, the Mahavishnu Orchestra and the Trio Of Doom.

On Saturday, January 5th, Beyond Jazz presents a very special edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” with a show titled "AND THE NOMINEES ARE...!” Join Russ Davis as he talks to a number of the stars of modern jazz who have just received Grammy nominations from the National Association of Recording Arts and Sciences. Listen to the thoughts and tunes of Steve Khan, Will Bernard, Eldar, Herbie Hancock, Jeff Lorber, Kurt Elling, Terence Blanchard, Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, John Patitucci, Jay Beckenstein of Spyro Gyra and more. Each hour begins with conversation followed by music. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). "AND THE NOMINEES ARE...!” this week’s WORDS & MUSIC from BEYOND JAZZ!

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour re sponding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.