[JPL] Jazz Rendezvous Newsletter - Have a great but safe New Year

Eric Alan at Jazz Rendezvous eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za
Fri Dec 28 03:11:10 EST 2007

Please join us on Sunday for our ultra-exciting and absolutely the best jazz
radio show in Africa, the incredibly good pre-new years eve show on Radio
2000 at 6pm

Don¹t forget to join us for another really hectic radio show on Sunday 30
December from 6pm - South African time, only on RADIO 2000, yes our very
popular SPECIAL PRE-NEW YEARS show ³Its almost New Year so don¹t drink
yourself into a stupor for fun but rather have fun with a single beer or
something similar then stick to soft drinks show, so don¹t think to drink
and drive show², will take to the airwaves with the ever crazy host Eric
Alan steering the good ship JAZZ RENDEZVOUS, with all of our great
passengers tuned in, on a course to the year 2008.

We have included a few more recipes for you to prepare to accompany your
most favourite jazz radio show on the South African and world airwaves
today. We, have on the menu a heap of special guests both in the studios and
on the telephone from across the globe, so, make a big mark in your diary so
that you don¹t miss the show.

We will also be giving away a few copies of Alison Dewar¹s fabulous album
³Natural² and will be playing music by all of our guests be they in the
studio or on the telephone, should you have any questions for our guests
please drop us a line to eric at radio2000.co.za or
radio2000 at jazzrendezvous.co.za and let us know.

My special guest presenter will be the gorgeous, vivacious, sexy,
intelligent and zany Rise and Rock breakfast show co-host Nicole de Silva
and no she didn¹t pay me to say that, is true I tell you. Other guests who
have confirmed include Cape Town jazz drummer Maurice Gavronsky, Manenbergs
Jazz Club partner Clarence Ford who will be in the studio and via the
telephone, Belgium based jazz pianist Jack van Poll, Johannesburg based
singer/actor/entertainer/raconteur Harry Sideropoulis, Belgium based
vocalist Tutu Puoane who is included on the program of next years Cape Town
International Jazz Festival (CTIJF) as well as UK based jazz vocalist
Estelle Kokot who has a gig at Vortex in London later that night will be
featured though the program.  We await confirmation from New York based
veteran vocalist Sathima Bea Benjamin and UK based songbird Esther Miller.

It seems as if the threat of involving SNOSATSA (the highly radical
underground secretive Snoek (SA fish of the barracuda family) Sarmie
(sandwich) Society of South Africa) has borne some fruit, so to speak
because fresh fruit and fresh snoek make a good combination along with
witblitz (home brewed moonshine) for a new years braai (barbeque). In fact
their more public political cousin the Gesmoorde (sautéed) Snoek (SA fish of
the barracuda family) Party of South Africa (GESNOPASA) has given their
blessing and total approval for the program on Sunday, so make sure you
don¹t miss it, if you do you¹ll have deal with both organisations
yourselves. You really don¹t want to mess SNOSATSA and GESNOPASA, let this
be a friendly warning.

There are a number jazz musicians that made my conversion from hard-bitten
late 60¹s and 70¹s Rock Œn Roller to the beauty, artistry and intricacies of
jazz. A major one of those was Oscar Peterson. It was sad to hear of his
passing on the 23rd of December. We will be playing tribute to the great
Canadian pianist who to many, myself included, was influenced by his great
virtuosity, style and brilliant piano playing. In my humble opinion was the
greatest jazz pianist to have graced the stages and recording studios of the
world. Farewell Oscar and thank for helping me, a musical klutz, start  and
continue the journey of discovery and love of jazz.

=============================
NEW YEARS SWEET TOOTH RECIPE (We will pass it on to the listeners on Sundays
Show)

CHAMPAGNE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
1 cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons sparkling white grape juice or sparkling cider
3 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
1 tablespoon raspberry jam

Method:
1. In a heatproof bowl, combine the chocolate chips, butter and 2 1/2
tablespoons sparkling grape juice. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering
water and stir until the chocolate is melted; let cool.
2. In another heatproof bowl over simmering water, whisk the egg yolks,
sugar and remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons juice until thick and warm but not
cooked, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the melted
chocolate; let cool to room temperature.
3. Using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form;
transfer 1/4 cup to a small bowl and refrigerate. Let the remaining cream
stand until it reaches room temperature, then, using a large rubber spatula,
fold into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Spoon into glasses and
refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Stir the raspberry jam into the remaining 1/4 cup whipped cream and top
each mousse with some of the raspberry cream.

NEW YEARS DRINKS RECIPE¹s (We will be using these on Sundays Show)
JAZZ RENDEZVOUS SLUSHY FRUIT DELIGHT (Non-Alcoholic)
5 Oranges
3 Lemons
4 cups of sugar
5 cups of water
4 mashed banabas
1 can of crushed pineapples
2 litres of either Ginger Ale, Sprite or 7-up

Method:
Dissolve sugar in hot water and cool. Add all other ingredients and freeze.
(Other fruit can be added to the bananas and pineapples such as pears,
peaches, strawberries, kiwi, etc.) Spoon frozen mixture into glass and add
Sprite, 7-Up, or Ginger Ale.

SUNDOWN RENDEZVOUS AGUA FRESCA
Makes 8 servings
8 cups watermelon pieces (about 2 1/2 pounds), plus 8 small wedges
1 cup silver tequila
1/4 cup triple sec
4 to 6 limes, cut into wedges
Ice, for serving

Method:
Using a blender or food processor, puree the watermelon pieces in batches;
strain into a large pitcher. Stir in the tequila and triple sec and
refrigerate until cold. Squeeze a few lime wedges into the agua fresca mix.
Serve over ice, with additional lime and watermelon wedges on the side.

BRAVO BRAVA Recipe
FRUIT FAIRY (specially developed for Mixael and the Bravo Brava Team to
offer their guests at this time of the year, either with or with Alcohol)

60ml Pineapple juice
30ml Coconut cream
15ml Banana syrup
3 tbsp Vanilla ice cream
Grenadine syrup

Method:
The about is non alcoholic but to make it a fairy with punchy wand add
30ml¹s of White Rum or Malibu.

Drizzle grenadine down the inside of the glass Blend briefly and pour into a
large wine goblet. Garnish with a slice of banana and a cherry.

=============================
SEASONAL POETRY - On the Table

He laid her on the table
So white clean and bare
His forehead wet with beads of sweat
He rubbed her here and there
He touched her neck and then her breast
And then drooling felt her thigh
The slit was wet and all was set,
He gave a joyous cry
The hole was wide...he looked inside
All was dark and murky
He rubbed his hands and stretched his arms...

And then he stuffed the turkey
=============================
Quotes of the Day

New Year's is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody
save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls and humbug
resolutions. - Mark Twain

An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist
stays up to make sure the old year leaves. - Bill Vaughan

Cheers to a New Year and another chance for us to get it right. - Oprah
Winfrey

=============================
Joke of the Day
Attainable New Year's Resolutions
This year, I resolve to...
- Gain weight. At least 30 pounds.
- Stop exercising a waste (read waist) of time.
- Read less. Makes you think.
- Watch more TV. I've been missing some good stuff.
- Procrastinate more. Starting tomorrow.
- Spend more time at work, surfing with the T1.
- Take a vacation to someplace important: like, to see the largest ball of
twine.
- Stop bringing lunch from home: I should eat out more.
- Start being superstitious.
- Personal goal: bring back jazz disco.
- Buy an '83 mini bus taxi and invest in a really loud stereo system.
- Get the windows tinted. Buy some fur for the dash.
- Speak in a monotone voice and only use monosyllabicwords.
- Only wear jeans that are 2 sizes too small and use a chain or rope for a
belt.
- Not eat cloned meat.
- Create loose ends.
- Get further in debt.
- Not believe politicians.
- Avoid transmission of inter-species diseases.
- Avoid airplanes that spontaneously drop 1000 feet.
- Stay off the International Space Station.
- Not swim with pirhanas or sharks.
- Never make New Year's resolutions again.
=============================
Xtra Joke of the Day
The Spice Girls have reformed and are asking Cher to join them.
They're calling her "Old Spice".
=============================
A N Other  Xtra Joke of the Day
Many people are unaware that Frank Sinatra was an ecologist.

Once, he found out that the herds of animals in Africa were being forced off
their native lands into game reserves where they were more apt to be eaten
by their natural enemies due to the crowded conditions.

These animals would congregate around lakes and other bodies of water, but
had nowhere to run if they were attacked by their foes. This resulted in
abnormal losses in the herds.

Frank, upon finding out about this, donated a LOT of money to trying to find
out where there may be some open land to put the animals so they wouldn't be
so crowded.

Frank's idea was to go to the watering holes and load the animals on large
barges and take them to other lands and then set them free.

In order to accomplish this, he had to finance his work through a
best-selling song about it.

We've all heard the song before.

It starts out, "Start spreading the Gnus..."

The title of the song was, of course, "New Ark, New Ark."
=============================
Words of Wisdom for Today
Many people look forward to the New Year for a new start on old habits.
=============================
Thought for the Day
A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one Year and out the
other. =============================
African Proverb of the Day
The pillar of the world is hope.

Remember even if you don¹t live in South Africa and would like to listen to
the show or if you¹re going to be away from home these holidays never fear,
remember you can take RADIO 2000 with you and listen via internet streaming
at http://www.radio2000.co.za Just follow the links and hey presto you¹ll be
able to enjoy the all festive programming, including our special, ³Its
almost New Year so don¹t drink yourself into a stupor for fun but rather
have fun with a single beer or something similar then stick to soft drinks
show, so don¹t think to drink and drive show², only on Radio 2000 on Sunday
30 December at 6pm.

Don¹t forget to log onto the Jazz Rendezvous website for more of the latest
Jazz news and information simply go to http://www.jazzrendezvous.co.za

May you wake up on January 1 finding that the world has not come to an end,
the lights work, the taps flow, the sky has not fallen and the animals have
not messed in the house. Bless you with happiness, great health, peace, and
much love during the next year and all those that follow.
Have a truly great new year
Regards,
See it Š with your own ears
Yours in Music

Eric Alan

RADIO SHOW HOST of ERIC ALAN¹S JAZZ RENDEZVOUS on Radio 2000 - 97.2 to
100.2FM Sundays from 17h00 to 20h00 (Please note that if there is a sports
event on the day then the show will start an hour later)
EDITOR: JAZZ RENDEZVOUS WEBSITE:
http://www.jazzrendezvous.co.za
WEBSITE EDITOR, MUSIC JOURNALIST, BROADCASTER, Jazz, Music & Cultural
Consultant
COLUMNIST: Roots Magazine; Jazz Rendezvous Roots 2008, where jazz lovers
meet to read. Contributor and CD Reviewer to various publications around
Cape Town
Member: SAJE (South African Jazz Educators Association) and IAJE
(International Association for Jazz Education)
Founding Member: Western Cape Musicians Association & FMR
Master of Ceremonies: Cape Town International Jazz Festival and the Cape
Town Jazzathon and Athlone Academy of Music Festival
Postal Address:
Postnet Suite 261, Private Bag X16, Constantia, 7848. Cape Town, South
Africa
Radio 2000 On-Air Studios:
Johannesburg: 27-(0) 89-110-2003
Cape Town:  27-(0) 21-434-2515
Phone Mobil:
27-(0) 21-(0) 82- 456- 2195
Phone Office:
27- (0) 21-683- 9845
Skype:
ericalan2
RADIO 2000 WEBSITE and to stream the show live on the computer:
http://www/radio2000.co.za
Email ­ Radio Station: Radio 2000
eric at radio2000.co.za
Email Work:
editor at jazzrendezvous.co.za
Email Home:
eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za

NB. Please confirm receipt of this email by way of a return mail with
Received in the subject line
Disclaimer:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended
this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.