[JPL] Former prison guard returns with tried, true sound to jazz legend Tyner's band

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Dec 29 10:50:58 EST 2007

I can attest to the  fact that Eric Gravatt is back. He is with McCoy this
week at The Regatta Bar in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA.
I saw them on Thursday night, first set.
Along with Gerald Cannon, the trio kicked butt. McCoy moved slowly as he
took his seat at the piano but the band was on fire and his playing
reflected that. I know Gravatt had a lot to do with that.
It also might have been due to that fact that young trumpet player Christian
Scott made it a quartet for most of the set. Christian told me  they had
time for a brief rehearsal earlier that day. I'm sure by tonight, Saturday,
the music will be even more intense. Their version of "Mr. PC" was
thrilling.
Good for Christian. Good for McCoy. Good for Eric. Good for us!

Steve Schwartz
Jazz from Studio Four
Friday, 8p-midnight
WGBH, 89.7FM, Boston