[JPL] Former prison guard returns with tried, true sound to jazz legend Tyner's band

Mark Griffith nomsgmusic at verizon.net
Sun Dec 30 17:51:52 EST 2007

> 	Eric Gravatt is an interesting person, and a great drummer. I am
> happy to see him getting some well deserved attention. I did a lengthy
> interview with him a few years back for the Percussive Notes. We wound
> up spending most of the day together walking around NYC, and have kept
> in close touch since. He is a VERY influential drummer among some of
> the "younger"  (40's and 50's) jazz and fusion drummers today. For any
> of you that do catch McCoy's quartet, don't let Eric's "hardened
> demeanor" turn you away (after all you have to adopt a pretty thick
> shell to work the midnight shift at a maximum security prison for 20+
> years, as he did).
> 	Drumming wise, Eric accomplished a pretty unique feat. When he broke
> onto the scene, it was dominated by guys like Elvin, Roy, Jack, and
> Tony (among many others, obviously). But Eric really maintained to
> keep an original voice then (amongst the aforementioned strong
> drumming voices that were popular), as he does today. In fact, he
> still sounds today, very similar to how he did in the 70's. Eric
> credits many of the lesser known avant garde drummers like Sunny
> Murray, Milford Graves, and Rashied Ali, and his early involvement
> playing the congas in the Philadelphia Afro Cuban scene (he had an
> exhausting knowledge of his favorite recording "Patato & Totico"), as
> important influences. It is also interesting to note that he and
> Alphonse Mouzon "exchanged gigs" with Weather Report and McCoy, and if
> it wasn't for someone else's passport problems, Eric would have also
> been a part of Miles' band for at last a tour of Europe.
> 	He is a humble and very intelligent cat (a philosophy major at Howard
> in the 60's), very polite, knowledgeable, and respectful,  just a bit
> introspective. At first I was a little intimidated by him, but quickly
> found him to be a hugely articulate interview, and a wonderful person.
> As I said we have kept in touch since our first meeting.
	He has played on some great recordings as well. There is an Eddie
Henderson recording with Eric and Billy Hart double drumming, and
Eric's playing on Andrew White's "Live At The New Thing" is thrilling.
He made two recordings with DC flautist Lloyd McNeil, not to mention
his recordings with McCoy, Joe Henderson, and Weather Report's  "Live
In Tokyo." His recent recording with Tony Hymas called "Hope St.
Minnesota" is cool as well.

Happy Holidays to all of you, and a hearty thank you for all of your
continued hard work and dedication.
Mark Griffith