[JPL] Hundreds say goodbye at Peterson's funeral

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Mon Dec 31 10:05:41 EST 2007

The Canadian Press

Updated: Sat. Dec. 29 2007 7:40 AM ET

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. --- A private funeral service for jazz legend Oscar
Peterson on Friday drew hundreds of relatives and close friends,
including former premier Bob Rae and Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion.

In a fitting tribute to the eight-time Grammy winner, some of his
most-celebrated songs served as a soundtrack for the afternoon ceremony,
held in Mississauga, Ont. just west of Toronto.

Jazz singer Diana Krall, who cites Peterson as one of her greatest
inspirations, played the piano and sang songs such as "When Summer
Comes," which Peterson composed.

The inimitable technician and composer, known for his swinging style
demonstrated over more than a hundred recordings, succumbed to kidney
failure and stroke complications at his Mississauga home Sunday night.
He was 82.    His website says a public memorial will be held soon.

"It was beautiful," said McCallion of the private service. "It wasn't
sad. He never wanted anything to be sad."

Friends and relatives of the renowned musician flew in from Europe and
the United States to attend the service, McCallion said.

Earlier this week, Peterson's youngest daughter, Celine, 16, said she
was shocked by the loss.   On the day her father died, she wrote in her
myspace page: "It is very hard for me to express how I feel about losing
my Dad when people around me talk about how a legend, national treasure,
virtuoso, piano god has passed away. ... My Dad was the best father that
there ever was."

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations