[JPL] Playlist for Meshes of the Afternoon, 11/27 and 10/14

seth at whrwfm.org seth at whrwfm.org
Mon Dec 31 15:15:51 EST 2007

Hey everyone,

Due to the hustle-bustle of the holiday season, I forgot to report my
last batch of playlists.  Because I did not receive any interesting new
spins from other members of WHRW's jazz department (aside from one spin
of Mike Ellis' Bahia Band), I've decided not to bother writing up
their lists this time around.  The end of the semester is not prime time
for college radio -- however, I do think that the last few Meshes
broadcasts were some of the best, so feel free to have a look.

Just a note on the Best of 2007: as I said during my broadcast, this
mostly excludes albums that already received play in recent weeks or
have already gotten enough attention elsewhere.

Thanks to everyone for your support and have a great holiday!

Seth

Playlist for November 27, 2007

· Martin Tetreault & Kid Koala – Drum-o-Scope, from Phon-o-Victo (Victo,
2007)

· Joe McPhee – Black Magic Man, from Survival Unit II With Clifford
Thornton, NY NY 1971 (Hat, 2006)
· Dinosaur L – You’re Gonna Be Clean on Your Bean, from 24-24 Music
(Traffic, 1982/2007)
· The Ex – Constitutional State, from Singles. Period. (Touch & Go, 2005)
· Roberto Musci & Giovanni Venosta - Lilongwe 29-2-52 Radio Concert Hall,
from Messages & Portraits (ReR, 1991)
· Ahmed Abdul-Malik – Isma’a, from East Meets West (RCA, 1959)
· Evan Parker & Matthew Shipp – Tenor Suite II, from Abbey Road Duos
(Treader, 2007)

· Maurice McIntyre – Ensemble Fate, from Humility in the Light of the
Creator (Delmark, 1969)
· Gilberto Gil – Back in Bahia, from Expresso 2222 (Universal, 1971)

Playlist for December 4, 2007

· Tiziano Tononi - We Now Interrupt for a Commercial/Broadway Blues, from
Peace Warriors, Vol. 1: Acoustic (Soul Note, 2007)

· Bernard "Pretty" Purdie - Easy, from Lialeh (Light in the Attic, 2005)
· n/a - Untitled Track #3, from Candomble: Bresil Les Eaux D'oxala (Buda
Musique, 1982)
· The Slits - Face Place, from Return of the Giant Slits (Blast First,
1981/2007)
· Israel Quellet - Pour Percussions et Saturation, from Oppressum (Sub
Rosa, 2007)
· Enrico Rava - The Fearless Five, from Enrico Rava Quartet (ECM, 1978)

· Hal Rammel - On Balance Scattered, from Like Water Tightly Wound
(Crouton, 2007)
· Axel Dorner - Zubiel Publikum, from Die Eenttauschung (Crouton, 2006)
· Christina Kubisch - Homage With Minimal Distortion, from Five
Electrical Walks (Important, 2007)
· Henri Guedon - Vulcano, from Early Latin and Boogaloo Recordings by the
Drum Master (Comet, 2004)

· Coleman Hawkins - S'wonderful, from Coleman Hawkins and the Trumpet
Kings (Mercury, 1965)
· Inzucht & Ordnung - Irrenenstalt, from Irrenenstalt [7"] (Zickzack,
1980)
· Frank Pahl - Toy Suit, from Remove the Cork (Demosaurus, 1998)
· Elmer Bernstein - Memories, from The Carpetbaggers (Ava, 1964)
· Tom Dissevelt - Glas, from Musique Concrete Soundtracks to Experimental
Short Films, Vol. 1 (New England Electric Music Company, 2003)
· Joe Harriott & Amancio D'Silva, from Hum Dono (EMI, 1969)

Playlist for December 14, 2007

· Ike & Tina Turner – River Deep, Mountain High, from va – Phil Spector:
Back to Mono (ABKCO, 1991)

· Bootjacks – In the Circle, from va – Searchin’ for Shakes: Swedish
Beat, 1965-1968 (Amigo, 1984/2007)
· Orquesta Nunez – La Samaria, from va – Colombia! The Golden Age of
Discos Fuentes (Soundway, 2007)
· The Slits – Animal Space/Spacier, from Return of the Giant Slits (Blast
First, 1981/2007)
· Ju Suk Reet Meate - #06, from Solo 78/79 (De Stijl, 2007)
· Sonic Youth – Hey Joni [Live], from Daydream Nation: Deluxe (Geffen,
2007)

· Ed Askew – Reasonable Man, from Little Eyes (De Stijl, 2007)
· Fajardo – Charanga, from va – Una Noche en la Habana (Syllart, 2007)
· Lily Greenham – Rrr, from Lingual Music (Paradigm, 2007)
· Barbara Manning – For Pity’s Sake [Live], from Super Scissors
(Rainfall, 2007)
· Eduardo Mateo – Por Que?, from Mateo Solo Bien se Lame (Lion, 1972/2007)
· Lee Rockey - #2, from Lee Rockey Music (De Stijl, 2007)

· Ari Brown – Two Gun V, from Live at the Green Mill (Delmark, 2007)
· Signal – Malimo, from Robotron (Raster-Noton, 2007)
· Robert Ashley – The Miracle of Cars [excerpt], from Now Eleanor’s Idea
(Lovely Music, 2007)
· Six Ways to Avoid the Evil Eye – Orange Sky, Black Clouds, from Six
Ways to Avoid the Evil Eye (Onetree, 2007)
· Mira Calix – The Stockholm Syndrome, from Eyes Set Against the Sun
(Warp, 2007)

· Lou Reed – Part One [excerpt], from Metal Machine Music Performed by
Zeitkratzer (Asphodel, 2007)

Ten favorites in no particular order:

· Tim Catlin & Jon Mueller - #2, from Plates and Wires (Crouton, 2007)
· Giuseppe Ielasi & Nicola Ratti – IV, from Bellows (Kning, 2007)
· Pekos & Yoro Diallo - #2, from Pekos/Yoro Diallo (Yaala Yaala, 2007)
· Axolotl – Foreclusion, from Memory Theatre (Important, 2007)
· People Like Us & Ergo Phizmiz – Smiling in the Rain Suckling, from
Perpetuum Mobile (Soleilmoon, 2007)
· Gudrun Gut – Last Night, from I Put a Record On (Monika, 2007)

· Evan Parker & Ned Rothenberg – Brew for the Birds [excerpt], from Live
at Roulette (Animul, 2007)
· Tarab – Keeps, from Wind Keeps Even Dust Away (23five, 2007)
· Fred Frith & Chris Brown – Nothing But Make Me, from Cutter Heads
(Intakt, 2007)
· Group Inerane – Ashal Wali Tigeli, from Music of Nigers, Guitars From
Agadez (Sublime Frequencies, 2007)

Meshes of the Afternoon
Tuesdays, 2:30-4:00 PM
On WHRW 90.5 FM
http://www.whrwfm.org/listenlive.php

Seth Watter
Jazz/Avant Director @ WHRW 90.5 FM
Contributing Writer: Dusted Magazine, Signal to Noise
Cell: (607) 624-9430
Office: (607) 777-2139
seth.watter at binghamton.edu
seth at whrwfm.org