[JPL] Jazz After Hours Playlist

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 01:14:43 EDT 2007

I don't like to clutter up your mailbox with every playlist, but just
in case someone might like to see one once in a while, here are this
week's shows.  (If not, there's always the "delete" button.)  Playlists
are available every week online at
www.jazzafterhours.org/playlists.html   The emphasis is on current
releases and living musicians, so it sometimes seems like a "virtual
pub crawl" when we talk about and listen to musicians playing this
weekend in New York, Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, Denver, Seattle, San
Francisco, L.A. etc.  http://jazzafterhours.org/calendars.html  (being
updated this weekend).

Jazz After Hours is distributed by Public Radio International and airs
more or less simultaneously overnight on weekends on more than 70
stations in an area roughly bounded by Hawaii, Alaska, New York,
Florida and Texas. http://jazzafterhours.org/stations.html  More than a
dozen stations also stream live to the internet, so we also hear from
listeners enjoying the music at various times of day in Japan,
Australia, Indonesia, India, Turkey, Italy, France, Denmark, the UK,
etc.  http://jazzafterhours.org/comments.html

Jazz After Hours is available via satellite or from Content Depot and
can be automated for those who like to give their regular staff a night
off while I keep the transmitters warm overnight.  I work cheap.

The show airs on Friday and Saturday nights in the US starting at
Midnight Eastern Time (5 AM GMT).  Each hour is identified - eg. SA 0
(Saturday midnight), SA 1 (Saturday 1 AM) and so on. If you are in
Central Time subtract 1 hour, in Mountain Time subtract 2 hours, in
Pacific Time subtract 3 hours, or add 5 hours for GMT. Some stations
may shift the program a few hours later, like what old timers called
"The West Coast feed".

Your mileage may vary.

Each program runs a total of seven hours although not all stations
carry all seven hours. The piece listed in parenthesis at the end of
each hour is an unannounced 40-sec fill segment that's not heard on all
stations.  Note that the date and copyright indicate current
performance licensing. It may or may not indicate the original
recording date and label.

You can listen on air or online late night (in the US) any weekend.
But why would you want to do that when you've got all those CDs to
audition?

Beautiful full moon on this nice June night in Seattle.  I'll play some
moon tunes for June.  She's probably staring at the same moon.

Jim

JAZZ AFTER HOURS FOR SATURDAY, JUNE 2, 2007
artist- title - album - year - copyright - catalogue #

SA 0 - Theme (open & close): Ray Bryant - After Hours - Alone at
Montreux
Devin Phillips - Wade In The Water - Wade In The Water - 2006 Devin
Phillips - 19981 21692
Larry Willis - Landscape - Blue Fable - 2007 HighNote - HCD 7163
Joey Calderazzo - Midnight Voyage - Amanecer - 2007 Marsalis Music -
7494600-052
Joel Frahm - Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most - We Used To Dance
- 2007 Anzic 9101
Pat Martino - Full House - Remember - 2006 Blue Note - 0946 3 11226 2 6
0
The Bill Charlap Trio - The Lady Is A Tramp - Live at The Village
Vanguard - 2007 Blue Note - 7243 5 97044 2 5
P J Perry - Reminiscent - Trio - 2006 P J Perry- 6 76868 15662 5
Roni Ben-Hur - Can’t We Be Friends - Keepin’ It Open - 2007 Motéma -
MTM 00010
(Gil Evans - Lester Leaps In)

SA 1 -
The Bill Holman Band - Hommage à Woody: A Man of Few Herds - Hommage -
2007 Jazzed Media - JM 1024
David Hazeltine - Suddenly It’s Spring - Blues Quarters Vol.2 - 2007
Criss Cross Jazz - 1287
Michel Petrucciani - Medley: J’Aurais Tellement Voulu, Rachid, Chloé
Meets Gershwin - Piano Solo Complete Concert - 2007 Dreyfus Jazz - FDM
46050 36906-2
Poncho Sanchez - Tropi Blue - Raise Your Hand - 2007 Concord - CCD 30149
Lew Tabackin - I Wished On The Moon - What A Little Moonlight Can Do -
1994 Concord - CCD 1617
Nordic Connect - Sweet Dream - Flurry - 2006 Ingrid Jensen -
ArtistShare AS 0062
Martin Bejrano - Bouncing with Bud - Evolution/Revolution - 2007
Rservoir - RSR CD 189
(Antonio Hart - Black and Gold)

SA 2 -
Akiko Tsuruga - Polka Dots and Moonbeams - Sweet and Funky - 2007
Allegro - 18V 1052
One More - Three and One - The Summary - 2006 IPO - IPOC1011
Joshua Redman - Indonesia - Back East - 2007 Nonesuch - 104252-2
e.s.t. - Dolores in a Shoestand - Tuesday Wonderland - 2006
Spamboolimbo - B0008613-02
Jim Rotondi - Repetition - Iron Man - 2006 Criss Cross Jazz - 1275
Dept.of Good and Evil feat. Rachel Z - King of Pain - Dept.of Good and
Evil - 2007 SLG - SVY17630
Kate McGarry - The Lamp Is Low - The Target - 2007 Palmetto - PM 2125
(Buddy DeFranco - Out To Lunch)

SA 3 -
Charles Mingus - Reincarnation of a Lovebird - In Paris - 2007
Universal Music France SSC 3065
Robert Irving III - Nefertiti - New Momentum - 2007 Sonic Portraits -
SPE 1199
Paquito D’Rivera - Final Waltz - Funk Tango - 2007 Paquito Records -
SSC 4551
Sara Lazarus - In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning - It’s All Right
With Me - 2006 Dreyfus Jazz - 46050 366932
Carl Allen & Rodney Whitaker - Desperate Desire - Get Ready - 2007 Mack
Avenue - 1034
Till Bronner - Bumpin’ - Oceana - 2006 Bam Bam - B0008546-02
(Red Garland - But Not For Me)

SA 4 -
Donny McCaslin - Fast Brazil - In Pursuit - 2007 Sunnyside - SSC 1169
Bobby Shew Quartet - Breakfast Wine - Breakfast Wine - 1985 Pausa - PR
7171 (LP)
Steve Grossman Quintet featuring Harold Land - Born To Be Blue - I’m
Confessin’ - 2007 Dreyfus Jazz - 4605036902 2
The Tienrey Sutton Band - Great Day! - On The Other Side - 2007 Telarc
- 83650
Maynard Ferguson - The Days of Wine and Roses - The One and Only - 2007
Maynard Ferguson Trust - 05552
Alvin Batiste - Everloving Star - Marsalis Music Honors - 2007 Marsalis
Music - 74946 0007 2
Ximo Tebar - Eclipse - Eclipse - 2006 Omix - SSC 4704
Sammy Figueroa -Gregory Is Here - The Magician - 2007 Savant - SCD 2079
(Jimmy Raney - Indian Summer)

SA 5 -
Bob Montgomery/Al Hermann Quintet - Speak Easy - On The Brink - 2007
Summit - 475
Ali Ryerson - Emily - Jammin’ At the Jazz Corner - 2007 Sweet Jazz -
37101 32875
John Fedchock New York Big Band - J Birds - Up & Running - 2007
Reservoir - 188
Steve Kuhn Trio - Slow Hot Wind - Live at Birdland - 2007 Blue Note -
72992
George Kontrafouris - Invisible Heating Machine - Litle Daddy’s Blues -
2007 Chicken Coup - 7005
John Pisano & Anthony Wilson - Good Bait - Guitar Night - 2007 Mel Bay
- MB 1041 CD
Kendra Shank - I Got Thunder - A Spirit Free - 2006 Challenge - CR73253
Misha Tsiganov - Say WhereYou’ve Gone - Always Going West - 2007 Misha
Tsiganov - 16892 88162
(Modern Jazz Quartet - Jack The Bear)

SA 6 -
Dave Douglas - Living Steams - Live at the Jazz Standard Set 1 Decmeber
6 - 2006 Greenleaf Music - (downlaod only)
Kendrick Scott - The Source - The Source - 2007 World Culture - 37101
26272
Turtle Island Quartet - Acknowledgment - A Love Supreme - 2007 Telarc -
80684
The Pamela Hines Trio - I Will - Drop 2 - 2006 Spice Rack - SR
101-08Biréli Lagrène & WDR Big Band - Djangology - Djangology -
460503669628
Susan Pereira - Feitio de Oração -Tudo Azul - 2006 Riony - 8320
Miles Davis - Dear Old Stockholm - The Complete Columbia Recordings -
1999 Sony - 65833
(Theme)

JAZZ AFTER HOURS FOR SUNDAY, JUNE 3, 2007
artist- title - album - year - copyright - catalogue #

SU 0 - Theme (open & close): Ray Bryant - After Hours - Alone at
Montreux
Ian McDougall Big Band - Ian Leaps Out - No Passport Required - 2007
Barbaroam - 05
Frank Tiberi - Woody’s Lament - 4 Brothers 7 - 2007 Jazzed Media -
JM1019
Rufus Reid Quintet - Dreamgliding - Live - 2007 Motema - MTM-00009
Tom Wolfe & Gene Bertoncini - On A Misty Night - Two Guitars-One Voice
- 2007 Summit - DCD 479
Freddy Cole - I Got Lost In Her Arms -Because of You - 2006 HighNote -
HCD 7156
Nicholas Payton - Prince of The Night - Nick@ Night - 2000 PolyGram -
314 547 598-2
Michael Brecker - Pilgrimage - Pilgrimage - 2007 WA - HUCD3095
(Akio Sasajima - Crazeology)

SU 1 -
Bennie Wallace - Bean and the Boys - Disorder at The Border - 2006 Enja
-JENJ 3327-2
Coleman Hawkins - The Bean Stalks Again - The Centennial Collection -
2004 BMG - 82876-60086-2
Kurt Elling - Where Are You My Love? - Nightmoves - 2007 Concord - CCD
30138-2
Pat Metheny/ Brad Mehldau - Don’t Wait - Quartet - 2007 Nonesuch -
104188-2
Dave Brubeck - I Love Vienna - Park Avenue South - 2003 Telarc - 83570
Thomas Marriott - Tones for Joan’s Bones - Both Sides of the Fence -
2007 Thomas Marriott - Origin 82474
Red Mithchell Trio - Narbild - One Long String - 1998 Universal Music
Fance - SSC 3063
Red Mitchell - Where’s Don Ellis Now? - Simple Isn’t Easy - 1998
Sunnyside - SSC 1016
(Thelonious Monk - Rhythm-a-ning)

SU 2 -
Arturo Sandoval - Sexy Lady - Rumba Palace - 2007 Telarc - 83662
Trombonilla (Luis Bonilla) - Mamostinato - Terminal Clarity - 2006 Now
Jaz Consortium - NJC 1001
John Pisano (Peter Bernstein/Anthony Wilson) - Whisper Not - Guitar
Night - 2007 Mel Bay - MB10412CD
Judy Niemack - Blue - Blue Nights - 2007 Judy Niemack - BJ 3353
Wayne Wallace - Obatala/Afro Blue - The REckless Search for Beauity -
2006 WayneWallace - PRCD002
Joshua Redman - The Surrey with the Fringe on Top - Back East - 2007
Nonesuch 104252-2
Richko/ Keller/ Siers - Noreen’s Nocturne - To Oscar, With Love - 2007
PKO - 041
King Cole Trio - I Got Rhythm - Transcriptions - 2005 Blue Note -
72435-60184-2-6
(Ron Escheté - Blues Bruise)

SU 3 -
Frank Morgan - Hot House - A Night In The Life - 2007 HighNote - HCD
7164
Niño Josele - The Peacocks - Paz - 2006 Calle 54 - 8287 686514 2
Hector Martinon - Observatory - Refugee - 2007 ZOHO - ZM200705
Matt Wilson’s Arts & Crafts - We See - The Scenic Route - 2006 Palmetto
- PM 2122
André Ceccarelli - Though Dreams Die - Golden Land - 2007 CAM - 5024
Mark Murphy - Angel Eyes - Love Is What Stays - 2007 Bam Bam-
B0008906-02
The Fred Hersch Trio - So In Love - Night & The Music - 2007 Palmetto -
PM 2124
Adam Rogers - Esteban - Time and the Infinite - 2007 Criss Cross Jazz -
1286
(Alan Broadbent - Daahoud)

SU 4 -
Charles Mingus - A Colloquial Dream (Scenes in The City) - Tijuana
Moods - 2007 BMG -
88696 05533 2
Melvin Rhyne - All Blues - Front and Center- 2007 Criss Cross Jazz -
1290
Ernie Watts - Analog Man - Analog Man - 2006 Flying Dolphin - FD 1005
Wynton Marsalis - Love and Broken Hearts - From the Plantation to the
Penitentiary - 2007 Blue Note - 0946 3 73675 2 0
Monk’s Music Trio - Hornin’ In - Monk on Mondays - 2007 Boogie San - CB
102843
Stan Bock Ensemble - Jinriksha - Your Check’s In The Mail - 2007 Stan
Bock - OA2 22034
Woody Herman - Duke Ellington’s Sound of Love - Fatha Herman - 1999
Hindsight - 274
(Johnny Smith - Tabu)

SU 5 -
Bob Florence Limited Edition - Invitation - Eternal Licks & Grooves -
2007 MAMA - 1030
Sue Raney - Take Me Home - Quietly There - 1987 Trend - DSCD-939
Stan Getz - Soul Eyes - The Lost Sessions - 2003 Verve - B0000525-02
Floran Weber - Close To The End - Minsarah -2006 Justin Time - JENJH
3326-2
Avishai Cohen - Smash - As Is...Live at The Blue Note - 2007 Half Note
- 4531
Abbey Lincoln - The Music Is The Magic - Abbey Sings Abbey - 2007
Universal Music France - B0008900-02
Terelll Stafford - A Nick Off The Mark - Taking Chances - 2007 MaxJazz
- MXJ 405
Harry Connick, Jr - Petite Fleur - Chanson du Vieux Carré - 2007
Marsalis Music - 749460-0062
(Kenny Barron - Fungi Mama)

SU 6 -
Joe Henderson - Blue Bossa - Page One - 1988 Capitol - 7777 84140
2Pieranunzi/ Johnson/ Baron - Nuovo Cinema Paradiso - Live in Japan -
2007 CAM - 5023
Enrico Rava - Echoes of Duke - The Words and The Days - 2007 ECM - 1982
Michel Camillo - Trilogy - Spirit of the Moment - 2007 Telarc - 83653
Ed Reed - There’s A Lull in My Life - Sings Love Stories - 2007 Ed Reed
- ER-001
Gene Ammons - Canadian Sunset - Boss Tenor - 2006 Concord - PRCD 8102-2
Jimmy Ponder - Kickin’ Da Bobo - Somebody’s Child - 2007 HighNote - HCD
7165
Lauren Hooker - Right Where I Belong - The Other Side of the Sun - 2006
Musical Legends - 83710 31277 6
Dexter Gordon - I Want More - Doin’ Allright - 1988 Capitol - 7777
84077 2
(Theme)