[JPL] Tonight on PBS's Indepedent Lens......

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Wed Jun 6 14:49:56 EDT 2007

Arturo,

I didn't get to see the PBS show on La Lupe, but Monday night, as part of
the Burlington Discover Jazz Festival, Miguel Zenon did one of
her songs as part of his outstanding set with his Quartet.

It was the highpoint of the Festival so far for me. See the local
blog about the Festival at: http://7d.blogs.com/jazzmafia/
or check out the Festival site at:  www.discoverjazz.com

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio
365 Troy Ave
Colchester, VT 05446

jazz at vpr.net
www.vpr.net/jazz
Tu-Th 8-10pm, Fr 8pm-mid

> La Lupe was an amazing one of kind performer who was a "crossover"
artist
> appearing on the Dick Cavett Show, the Tonight Show and others as well
as
> on
> Latin TV in the US, Puerto Rico and Venezuela. Madonna cites hers as a
major
> influence, La Lupe was a former teacher turned club owner-singer in Cuba
before migrating to the US in 1962, she is the female voice heard in Mongo's
> original version of Watermelon Man. Mongo and La Lupe recorded an LP on
Riverside in 1963 titled Mongo Presents La Lupe, they also recorded together
> on an early 70's Mongo Lp for Columbia-Red Hot or something like that.
La
> Lupe also recorded several albums with Tito Puente in the latter 60s
before
> embarking on a solo career.   Arturo
>
> June 5 at 10 p.m.
> Check local listings
>
> LA LUPE QUEEN OF LATIN SOUL (60 minutes)
> by Ela Troyano
>

> Legendary Afro-Cuban pop singer Lupe Victoria Yoli, was crowned "The
Queen
> of Latin Soul" by New York's Latin music scene in the 1960s. Renowned
for
> her emotional performances, La Lupe remains the quintessential bad girl,
dying tragically, virtually unknown in 1992. Shot in Cuba, Puerto Rico and
> the U.S., LA LUPE tells her story through interviews and rare archival
footage from the groundbreaking musical era. Produced in association with

jazz at vpr.net
www.vpr.net/jazz
Tu-Th 8-10pm, Fr 8pm-mid

--
This message has been scanned by MailScanner