[JPL] The Jazz Session featured in City Newspaper

Jason Crane jason at thejazzsession.com
Wed Jun 6 23:47:25 EDT 2007

JAZZ: Crane's now offering podcast
By Ron Netsky On Jun. 5th, 2007
http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/music/articles/JAZZ%3A+Crane+s
+now+offering+podcast/

Since leaving Jazz 90.1 (WGMC FM) and his talk show on WROC AM, Jason
Crane has been a stay-at-home dad and an organizing director for
UNITE HERE, the union for hotel, food service, laundry, and racing
and gaming workers. He's also written for All About Jazz (a leading
jazz website) and The Guide, an entertainment magazine on Hilton Head
Island in South Carolina.

But perhaps his most intriguing new venture is The Jazz Session, a
podcast he started last year.

The show has featured top jazz artists like Victor Goines, John
Abercrombie, Jeff "Tain" Watts, and Grant Stewart, with interviews
and cuts from the artists' albums. Crane is immersed in the music
enough to ask all the right questions; there's more depth here than
you might find elsewhere.

"Podcasts are a wonderful way to broadcast niche content like jazz
without worrying about how much it will cost or how many ads you can
sell," says Crane. Each show is about a half hour long.

There are several ways to listen, and it's free. On the web,
thejazzsession.com has a built-in player. You can subscribe through
iTunes or other podcast services. Crane emphasizes that you don't
need an iPod to listen to podcasts. All that is needed is a computer
with speakers and an internet connection.

Crane says he has seen a steady increase in listeners and subscribers
to the show. He also measures the show's success through e-mail
feedback from listeners and musicians.

"That makes it all worthwhile," says Crane. "At the moment, The Jazz
Session is a labor of love, but the response from listeners,
musicians and record labels has been strong enough that I may be able
to earn some money from it in the future."

While at WGMC Crane greatly enhanced the station, most notably
leading the drive for the more powerful tower, enabling the station
to reach well beyond its former listening area. Will he ever go back
to radio?

"Who can say? If there's one thing I've learned," he says, "it's not
to make predictions. That said, radio has always been my true love,
ever since I first started collecting old time radio shows as a kid."

--
Jason Crane
Host, The Jazz Session
jason at thejazzsession.com
<http://thejazzsession.com>
TEL: +1-585-473-5304

*********************************

About the show: The Jazz Session

The Jazz Session is a jazz interview
podcast featuring conversations with
musicians, writers, broadcasters, podcasters
and more. The show is hosted by All About
Jazz contributor and longtime radio
broadcaster Jason Crane. The show is
available at http://thejazzsession.com
or in iTunes.

About the host: Jason Crane

Following a busy career as a saxophonist
and radio broadcaster, Jason Crane
served as station manager and jazz host at
Jazz90.1 in Rochester, NY, fom 2001-2004.
Jason has interviewed more than 200 jazz
artists, including: John Abercrombie,
Karrin Allyson, Billy Bang, Bill Bruford, Jack
DeJohnette, Kahil El'Zabar, Wycliffe
Gordon, Fred Hersch, Bill Holman, Charlie
Hunter, Norah Jones, Les McCann, Bobby
McFerrin, Jane Monheit, David “Fathead”
Newman, Houston Person, David Sanborn,
John Scofield, David Torn, Bobby Watson,
Jeff "Tain" Watts, Fred Wesley, and Nancy
Wilson.