[JPL] Chick Corea's Birthday Week on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jun 7 09:37:15 EDT 2007

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (11-17 June 2007)

This Monday, June 11th, we’ll begin a week-long celebration of one of the modern masters of jazz as we present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of CHICK COREA on the day before his birthday. For over four decades he’s established himself as a brilliant keyboardist, composer, bandleader and musical visionary of the highest order. You’ll hear an hour of the many different facets of his work including his solo releases, his acoustic bands, the Elektric Band and the fusion masters Return To Forever. Plus we’ll hear Chick’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great CHICK COREA.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle features the funk from England's Up, Bustle & Out and The New Mastersounds plus more new music by Mocean Worker and Benny Lackner from the Brooklyn Jazz Underground collection.

This Wednesday and Sunday, join us for CHICK COREA: THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE LIVE IN BARCELONA on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to Spain to celebrate the birthday of legendary keyboardist CHICK COREA joined by his band TOUCHSTONE comprised of virtuoso flamenco/jazz players from all over the world.  Listen as they bring to life the magical music of Chick’s chart-topping 2006 release in front of a roaring crowd in the country that has long been a place of personal inspiration for Chick.  It’s CHICK COREA: THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE LIVE IN BARCELONA on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

On this week’s edition of…IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION listen for a SPECIAL EDITION: CHICK COREA FUSION CLASSICS.  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. And this week we’ll begin each hour from 7 AM to Midnight Eastern, that’s 4 AM-9 PM Pacific with a classic fusion piece featuring the great CHICK COREA in various settings, with Miles Davis, solo and of course with his super-group Return To Forever. It’s CHICK COREA FUSION CLASSICS on this week’s edition of…IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT , Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark gives us part two of his exclusive interview with the legendary JOE SAMPLE as they talk about “The Ladies In His Life” including Minnie Ripperton, Randy Crawford, Flora Purim and more.

This Saturday, June 16th, we'll present another edition of our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ that helps us wrap up our celebration of the birthday of one of the greats of modern jazz, with a special presentation titled “CATCHIN’ UP WITH CHICK,” a day spent with the great CHICK COREA. Hear the thoughts of Chick as we cover all the aspects of his legendary career with interview segments followed by music, beginning each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).   It's “CATCHIN’ UP WITH CHICK” a birthday salute to the great CHICK COREA on WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio